Eyebrow mod??? by James.uk

James.uk
Would it be possible to add a tray to the back of the "eyebrow" and turn it into a pull-out tray?? :confused:

My car has the Harmony radio unit.. :)

Posted 07 Oct 2010, 13:48 #1 

SpongeBob
You'd be the first!

If you didn't already know the eyebrow itself attaches in an 'upwards and backwards' fashion into the surrounding console material. I would suspect you would first need to remove this material to create a 'gap' in which your tray would slide in and out. The second consideration is the fact that suprisingly there isn't all that much room up there behind the console. Towards the top you have the vents and ducting for the centre dash vents and the control for the thumbwheel, there's also a hefty bunch of cabling for the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) and other units.

Assuming you have the space and the inclination then you'd then need to fashion a sliding tray. Wood would be a preferred choice due to the ease of which to work with but I'd imagine it would be too thick to afford any useful storage space. Plastic or metal would be preferable. Again coming back to the 'space' issue inside the console area you next need to consider how your tray will slide in and out. Despite there being little in the way of depth in there when you look at either side it does disappear off into the ether somewhat so you'd need something similar to a traditional headunit's mounting cage in which to support the tray as there's little else for it to mount too.

If you can pull it off then it'd be a very cool mod! :thumbsup: ;)

Posted 07 Oct 2010, 18:07 #2 

James.uk
Cheers Bob.. Now I need to find a drawing of exactly what is behind the eye brow, or maybe take a look and some piccies next time I visit a scrapyard.. :thumbsup:

Posted 07 Oct 2010, 20:36 #3 

takestock
We can do an Eyebrow mod at the next nano meet for you James, we have a gennerator and a set of clippers, now, left or right?
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 08 Oct 2010, 14:36 #4 

Zeb
I would imagine this could be done and that a smallish but useful area for concealment of bits could be achieved.....I will have a little nosey....should be easy in wood... :D :? :shock:

Posted 08 Oct 2010, 17:39 #5 

James.uk
Aye Up Dave, no way I'm letting you near me with clippers!! :P :lol:

Ellow Zeb, :) I was thinking more by way of a pull out shelf to stand drinks on, rather than some sort of storage space, even a short shelf, full width and say 3-4 inches long-deep would be very usefull.. :)

My ole Jag had one and it was extremely usefull for in car picnics. But the one in the Jag was a fairly large affair. I think the size would be limited in a 75. But even a small shelf would be very usefull.. :thumbsup:

I do have the cup holder, but they look and feel very flimsy to me and I'm always scared of breaking it. So I only use it as a last resort.. :confused:

Posted 08 Oct 2010, 18:02 #6 

Zeb
Not sure there is enough 'meat' behind there to make site adequate support for your pints of bitter James...... :D

Posted 09 Oct 2010, 08:22 #7