Engine Cut at 3500 RPM by Justin

Justin
Good morning!

On the way to work I was overtaking and left the car in 4th, as the revs got to around 3500rpm (i was about to change up) the engine cut in the same way you would expect a rev-limiter to act, I changed up straight away and it was fine, there was no indication on the message centre of 'Check Engine'

It is rare that the engine is pushed this far but it was disconcerting to say the least!

The MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) and been replaced with a genuine Bosch one in the last 2 weeks, the in tank pump is making its noise and the HP pump is also relativly new (less than 1 year), PVC is the filterless type.

Im sure I have heard before that the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) can cause simular symptoms?

Kind Regards

Justin

Posted 18 Oct 2010, 08:16 #1 

SpongeBob
Not a diesel expert myself but if you were pushing the car hard then it still could be fuel starvation, despite the newness of the HP pump and the (I presume good) noises from the in-tank pump. Have you been able to repeat the incident or has the car performed okay since?

Posted 18 Oct 2010, 18:05 #2 

Justin
Hi ,

I have not been able to get the problem to reoccur, the engine feels a bit restricted, im going to check the hoses and the EGR to rule them out.

Justin

Posted 18 Oct 2010, 18:54 #3 

Duncan
The ECU (Engine Control Unit) will restrict the engine to 3500 RPM if it detects a fault, according to the Manual. Deosn't say which faults.

I'd suggest a testbook / T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session to read fault codes.

Posted 31 Oct 2010, 10:06 #4 

James.uk
>>>It is rare that the engine is pushed this far<<< (ref 3.500 revs)

That may be the problem! Diesels need to be worked hard, mamby pambying one is asking for trouble.. Try giving it bags of wellie (Italian tune up) and see if that helps.. :)

Posted 05 Nov 2010, 10:07 #5