Electric window problem by Fille

Fille
The driver's side window (LH) mechanism doesn't seem to work anymore. When I press the down button,there is a sound of a motor running in the door, with a couple of clicks as it seems it is trying to catch on to something. The window can be opened by hand from the outside if the motor is activated. Likewise, the window can be winded back up buy hand with the motor activated.

For a couple of months there has been a squeaking noise every now and then when the window is retracted. I have thought this was down to alignment of the window in the door.

Anyway, how should I proceed and what parts do yuo think I will need?

ps cleaned the plenums today!
2001 Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur A - 1990 Citroën XM - 2005 Citroën C3 - 1973 Morris Marina 1,3 Coupé - 1973 Morris Marina 1,8 TC Coupé - 1986 Honda Civic (Rover 216 ;))

Posted 31 Oct 2010, 12:43 #1 

James.uk
I suggest you take the door card off and have a look inside, the problem should be easily visible.. :thumbsup:

Posted 31 Oct 2010, 13:37 #2 

Dallas
Normally its the motor at fault where you will need a replacement motor, I had mine fail on my other Wedgewood Blue 75 :roll: £450 for a new motor from X-Part that was on back order for 6 months at the time.

Mine would work up and down but soon stop again, all the electrics were checked along with the switch panel but the motor was found to be at fault (was covered by the warranty so the motor was ordered).

If I remember you could try reading the voltage at the multi-plug at the motor to see if you are getting a 12v battery reading when the switch is pressed. Get hold of a switch and swap it over to eliminate that its not the switch board at fault (but did you say that the motor is working) or is it the relay kicking in you can hear?

Good luck.... :thumbsup:

Posted 31 Oct 2010, 15:39 #3 

Fille
Thanks for the replies,

The motor seems to work, sounds almost normal. Other than that I think it seems like a mechanical fault. Will have to bite the bullet and strip the door.
2001 Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur A - 1990 Citroën XM - 2005 Citroën C3 - 1973 Morris Marina 1,3 Coupé - 1973 Morris Marina 1,8 TC Coupé - 1986 Honda Civic (Rover 216 ;))

Posted 31 Oct 2010, 19:33 #4 

Dallas
Have you lubricated the window rubbers with silicon spray, the window could be dragging and shorting the relay stopping the operation of the window.

Posted 31 Oct 2010, 20:20 #5 

Duncan
I think the OP is right. If the motor sounds like it's running, it probably is. As the relay is in the BCU (Body Control Unit), it's unlikely anything moving in the door is shorting it, or that the motor is at fault.

I have seen repair kits on ebay and wondered why, as I've never heard of a problem before, but these seem to replace part of the drive mechanism.

I'd take the earlier advice and pull the door card off and have a look, as it'll probably be obvious, and the window mechs seem cheap second hand.

Posted 01 Nov 2010, 22:35 #6