ECU & Glow Plug Relay - swimming history by al_dente

• Related topics: (no related topics)

al_dente
I've had a few issues with my 75 CDT cutting out under acceleration. To cut a long story short, I've tried a few different things such as swapping the fuel pump, but no success yet.

However, I had a chat with Nick at Austin Garages and he suggested I check out the ECU (Engine Control Unit) for water damage, so I did that and lo and behold, there are marks in the ECU which indicated it's been wet at some point.

So what I've done is sent the unit off to ecu-doctor.co.uk for them to check over and repair. I'm hoping that when it comes back the problem will be gone.

A few weeks ago at the recent Nano meet, Duncan checked my car with his T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) (thanks Duncan). It didn't find any issues with the ECU, but it did flag something up for the glow plug relay. I suppose it could have been damaged at the same time as the ECU - seeing that they co-habit in the same enclosure.

I'm worried now that if my glow plug relay is faulty, it could damage my recently refurbed ECU. Is this possible do you think? I could replace it, but don't want to splash out on the part if it's not necessary - they're £80 from Rimmers.

The car starts OK by the way, so I've never suspected any glow plug issues. I suppose the glow plug relay error could be caused by a dodgy ECU?

Any comments or advice greatfully received!!

Al :?

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 16:51 #1 

MrB
They're £50 on eBay

View eBay item 200349376393

They are interdependent I believe, so even if the glowplug relay is faulty it shouldn't harm the ECU.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 17:38 #2 

Mad-Monkey
I've seen a couple of Diesels with Glow Plug Relay faults on the T4 and the car behaves as normal. :)

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 21:05 #3 

al_dente
Great - I'm not going to worry about that for the time being then.

Cheers

Al

Posted 21 Oct 2010, 22:59 #4 

jonjon77
my car has been on russ's T4 three times and there is always a glow plug relay fault logged.lve never had a problem starting the car,so l ignore it

jon

Posted 22 Oct 2010, 11:23 #5 

Duncan
The glow plugs are only really needed when it's cold, and I don't mean just chilly like it is now.

It could be either relay or ecu that is the problem, or even just corrosion on a connector somewhere.

Posted 22 Oct 2010, 13:03 #6 

jonjon77
l did spend 30 min trying to remove the relay from the ecu to check for corrosion but l couldnt get it off.hence why lve ignored it since.

jon

Posted 23 Oct 2010, 10:32 #7 

al_dente
Got the ECU back from ecu-doctor. They repaired something, but unfortunately the cutting out issue still persists.

My problem is identical to the one described here on the club forum: http://preview.tinyurl.com/22lckko so I'm wondering whether to try getting the injectors out myself and sending them to Lynx. Alternatively (perhaps wiser) solution, I might be better off taking the car to a garage and getting someone who knows what they're doing to look at it.

Cheers

Al

Posted 31 Oct 2010, 20:20 #8 

Duncan
It may be better getting someone to look at it, but choose carefully. Many places will not know either.

Posted 31 Oct 2010, 21:15 #9 

MrB
Duncan wrote:It may be better getting someone to look at it, but choose carefully. Many places will not know either.

Jules is North Wales - not too far away from Telford - or Lates is in the Midlands I believe, not sure where Austin Garages is??? All of these are very highly recommended by many 75/ZT owners.

Jules is a member here, not sure about the other 2. But their details are definitely on the OC site and they are regularly on there.

HTH
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 01 Nov 2010, 15:20 #10 

James.uk
:iagree: Give Jules or Lates a ring and make an appointment.. :thumbsup:

Posted 01 Nov 2010, 19:51 #11