Drivers door lock playing up. by TyphoonTT

TyphoonTT
Evening guys.

I replaced the interior handle pull cable on the 75, and now the catch won't unlock with the central locking when it was operating fine before. I assumed it may be a faulty catch, so bought another (second hand) one, fitted that, and exactly the same. It is clicking, but the button won't pop up.

Any suggestions? Wouldn't have thought that both catches have the same fault, but understand it's possible. :confused:

Posted 25 Jun 2012, 19:48 #1 

Duncan
Could be you've bent the locking rod, the one to the button.

It is entirely possible to get two faulty latch units. I replaced my rear right one, and the same symptom returned after just a few weeks. Won't unlock on the first press, OK after two or three.

To convince yoursefl it's not the cable or handle, take the interior handle and door casing off. Probably best to do this with the door open in case it still doesn't unlock. Then you can pull the cable more easily.

Posted 25 Jun 2012, 19:52 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
I have got change two of mine soon front divers and rear drivers both working until a few weeks ago i have heard you have to make sure the locking rod is in the right postion :confused: but as always i have taken pics before and will take some during fitting and after Arctic.

Those before fitting below.

Note the two different colours one is for the front (Blue) the other for the rear (Orange).
Image1

To remove the cable open the little door with small screw driver pic 2
Image2

With door open you can see how it hooks on pic3
Image3

this pic shows how the lock rod holds into the lock
Image4

With the plastic case open this can also be wound up or down depending on where it is in the begining
Image5

Driver lock with the key barrel aperture
Image6
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 26 Jun 2012, 20:58 #3 

Duncan
Great photos Steve. I think if the rod is in the wrong place, it may prevent the latch working properly.

Posted 26 Jun 2012, 21:36 #4 

TyphoonTT
Thanks for the replies guys. I wondered about the locking rod, but wouldn't that also affect the manual lock/unlock action?

Posted 26 Jun 2012, 21:49 #5 

takestock
Hi Ben, could indeed be the rod, anything between 3 and 9 threads showing through the bottom of the clip, there is an art to removing them. :o

Steve, sounds like a job for you and I at the nano ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 27 Jun 2012, 06:10 #6 

TyphoonTT
Hi Dave.

The door opens ok with the exterior and interior handle now I've replaced the interior cable.

It's just the door lock that won't unlock with the fob, even the replacement. It only locks with the fob, and the interior unlock/lock button doesn't want to do anything on the drivers front door now. :confused:

Maybe another battery reset.

I'll try it on my tourer perhaps? That would rule out anything else in the 75 I guess.

Thanks for the pointers.

Posted 27 Jun 2012, 22:02 #7 

Duncan
Could be a problem in the door connector? Or it could be just another faulty unit, they are pants after all.

Posted 28 Jun 2012, 06:58 #8 

takestock
Door lock is goosed :( Sorry :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 28 Jun 2012, 19:26 #9 

Arctic
(Trader)
takestock wrote:Hi Ben, could indeed be the rod, anything between 3 and 9 threads showing through the bottom of the clip, there is an art to removing them. :o

Steve, sounds like a job for you and I at the nano ;)

Hi Dave
Could well be i have two to fit to the MG ZT drives door and drivers side passenger door which were working until i changed the two door on the passenger side early this year :roll: wonder why when you do a job it always leads to another :gmc: cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 28 Jun 2012, 21:50 #10