Does a taxed car have to be insured? by Dave

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Dave
I'm getting mixed messages on this following a fair amount of Googling!

Our car is for sale, it's taxed, it's MOT'd and it's got insurance. However, we want to cancel the insurance during the 14 day cooling off period as we can't see the car being sold quickly - we'll then look for further cover as and when we have an interest from a buyer

But just worried about the stuff I'm reading about a taxed vehicle having to be insured. If we cancel the insurance and the tax is still valid, are we breaking the law (obviously not going to drive the car)? Do we have to cancel the tax too, and go to SORN, to be legal? Some references say that if it's taxed, that's it, it has to be insured, others, like here state

Although you are not legally obliged to insure vehicles that are currently off the road and being kept in private garages or on private land, you should make sure that your car is insured if it is being kept on a public road.

Now I know you can't necessarily believe everything you read online, but as ours is on our drive, so private land, this would seem to imply we are OK.

If it turns out we do have to either have insurance if it's taxed, or SORN if it's not insured, then we'll obviously keep legal. Nevertheless very frustrating as unless someone is coming to view it, we don't want to be paying insurance as we're not using it. If we cancel the insurance, and also have to cancel the tax/go to SORN, it's then got neither element and thus, as and when someone comes to view, we have to re-instate both which logically means a progressive loss of money on the tax ie cancel now and any refund will be for the full months to the end of March, but if we get it taxed again next week (and then the car doesn't sell and thus cancel again) we'll once again lose a months worth....

Any advice will be appreciated!

Posted 08 Nov 2016, 09:22 #1 

PaulT
A vehicle has to be insured unless it is SORN which means you get the tax back. Think the reason behind this is that if it is taxed but uninsured you may be tempted to drive it, in declaring SORN you are declaring that the vehicle will be kept off of the public highway.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 08 Nov 2016, 09:50 #2 

Dave
I get what you are saying here Paul. I'd never risk driving without insurance, although I'm sure some would - they might also drive without tax of course! We're going to keep it insured pro tem, easier in the long term, although might cost a bit more.....

Posted 08 Nov 2016, 15:41 #3