Do we need an abbreviations and acronyms thread? by Duncan

Duncan
Saw a new one today. Think I worked it out (OB = Old Bean??)

But I know I'm really bad at using jargon / acronyms assuming people know what it all means. So it could be a useful item in the knowhow forum.

I could make a start on it if useful? I think maybe a technical and non technical split might be useful?

PS, I like the fact that it's a knowhow forum as this can include any useful information. I'm looking at doing some 'technical insight' documents that I hope would be interesting and informative, but not tell you directly how to do things.

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 20:05 #1 

SpongeBob
Firstly, thanks for any work you wish to do. Technical Insight documents sound like a good idea. If you want to proceed with them and you want further help/info/etc then drop one of the Crew a PM :)

With regard to acronyms then yes it might be wise to have a collection of them - perhaps a thread in the social forum for the moment. I have an idea whereby the board can automagically turn common acronyms into full words for easier understanding and reading yet allow people to still type them into their posts for the sake of ease-of-use when replying to people. For now though, a thread with them all in for the sake of collecting them together wouldn't be a bad start :) I'll make it a sticky one it's formed :)

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 21:04 #2 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:Saw a new one today. Think I worked it out (OB = Old Bean??)

Sorry Duncan

:em: :em: :em: or can mean Old Boy :em: :em: :em:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 22:04 #3 

geesmith
FM! that's going to get lengthy ...... good idea though. My first thought was abbrevs and acro's pertaining to the 75/ZT. ;)

Maybe it was a bragging thread and someone was referring to the Original Boaster.. :em:

What about people like me that have been known to MTUATGA...... (make them up as they go along)...I only started doing that in protest to not understanding what an abreviation meant so ....yes, very good idea.

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 22:10 #4 

T-Cut
Here's the one I started on the Club Forum. This is directly from my hard drive, so it may not be quite as extensive as the latest edition, but it's a start.

Acronyms and Abbreviations

ABS (Antilock Braking System) = Anti-lock Braking System (An automated system to minimise wheel skid on braking)
BCU (Body Control Unit) = Body Control Unit (an ecu managing electronic systems associated with the car itself)
ECU (Engine Control Unit) = Electronic Control Unit/Engine Control Unit (Electronic system that manages the engine and associated systems)
EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) = Exhaust Gas Recirculation (An emissions control system)
FBH (Fuel burning heater.) = Fuel Burning Heater (Fitted to some early diesels to prewarm the engine in cold weather)
FFS = Fuel Filter Syndrome (A fuel starvation problem in post-2001 petrol models caused by a slackening of the filter module cap)
FOC = Fabled Orange Clip (A proprietory fixer for FFS)
HGF (Head Gasket Failure) = Head Gasket Failure (Usually caused by an engine overheat)
HID (High Intensity Discharge) = High Intensity Discharge (A high voltage plasma arc type lighting unit. Called 'xenon' lighting in the handbook.
IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) = The Instrument Pack (German *****)
LED (Light Emitting Diode) = Light Emitting Diode (A lighting system using electroluminescence instead of a filament)
LSM (Light Switch Module) = Lights Switch Module (A box of electronics that sits behind the actual switch panel)
MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) = Mass Air Flow (A sensor to detect the quantity of air being drawn into the diesel engine inlet system)
OBC (On Board Computer) = On Board Computer (Basically part of the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) system)
OBD = On Board Diagnostics system (Electronic system which monitors all aspects of engine performance and control)
OAT (Organic Acid Technology) = Organic Acid Technology (The inhibitor system used in the recommended antifreeze.Has a 4-5 year service life)
PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) = Pressure Control Valve/Positive Crankcase Ventilation (A system to control the crankcase pressure in diesels)
VIS (Variable Intake System) = Variable Intake System (A fuel control system fitted into the inlet manifold of the V6 engines)

The original Notepad text seems to have reformatted itself ???

TC

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 22:38 #5 

geesmith
Fabulous piece of work. :thumbsup:

Please, what alternative to MAF do the petrol variants have? Is it MAP?

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 22:52 #6 

Last edited by geesmith on 06 Jul 2010, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks TC all now added to the system, definitions are not in such great detail as your list but not much in the world is. :)
I've edited PCV in your post as well. :)

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 23:54 #7