DMF & Slave Cylinder...HELP !!! by shaykane

shaykane
Rover 75 tourer diesel. Hi, I wonder could I get some advice. I had my gearbox repaired. They phoned me to say the slave cylinder was broken (so in my ignorance I paid an extra £136 + vat). 2 months on and my clutch pedal travels to the floor with little resistance. I phoned them and explained the problem and it is booked in for Monday. They said it may be that the DMF has collapsed and affected the Slave Cylinder and therefore is not their fault. Is this possible or am I being scammed for my lack of mechanical knowledge?

Posted 23 Sep 2011, 11:54 #1 

Zeb
More likely your Master cylinder has failed if it was not replaced when the slave was... the DMF could, possibly, fail but I cannot see that the symptoms would be what you describe! If it is the master cylinder it is an easy enough job to do yourself..

Posted 23 Sep 2011, 12:28 #2 

shaykane
Thanks Zeb. I checked Master Cylinder and there did not seem to be any leak, I did not open it up as I was worried about it being a sealed unit.

Posted 23 Sep 2011, 12:36 #3 

Zeb
The other possibility is that they put the wrong slave in....diesel and petrol ones are not the same...? Or it may have just failed in short order....did they change the clutch itself too? Simple answer is that you will be wanting to see the parts they remove to replace..

Posted 23 Sep 2011, 15:19 #4 

Last edited by Zeb on 23 Sep 2011, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

shaykane
Thats an interesting one. I would not have thought of that. I will try and keep a closes eye on them. Do u happen to know the different part descriptions or numbers? Thanks.

Posted 23 Sep 2011, 15:45 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)

Posted 23 Sep 2011, 15:57 #6