Dealer Offer/Valuation by Wilsy

Wilsy
Well I'm finally parting company with my 2002 ZT190+ after 7 years. I decided to trade her in against my new car. A word of warning for anyone doing this you will get next to nothing for it. My ZT has done 80k FSH, has a massive history file including all receipts for every job and component purchased. Is in super original condition with an interior that looks like it just came out of the showroom. Yes she is 10 years old and values are low and the offer made by the dealer....£500.
Wilsy

MGZT 190+

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 07:50 #1 

JohnDotCom
Unfortunately once these cars are around the 10 year mark the prices will tumble.
They are generally just put through an auction house to dispose of, cannot afford to offer any warranty for forecourt use, seen many excellent examples scrapped by Insurance companies with very minor repairs required.
Always try to sell privately, but with the cambelt changes required, and the cost of much,these are not cheap to run now, and most now end up at the scrap yards.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 08:28 #2 

Wilsy
It's just such a shame. You are quite right it is primarily down to running costs. They are not cheap and the price of parts is ridiculous, couple that with higher road tax and obviously petrol prices they are just not practical any more. I will be sad to see her go. I'm going to have a few bits and bobs for sale which may be of interest to forum members. I will add to the for sale section once I've sorted everything out. There will be a full set of Original floor mats with the MG logo on the drivers mat. A Haynes 75/ZT workshop manual, a set of custom made centre caps for 18" straights, a set of MG logo valve caps which were purchased from CD Bramall Rover Dealer made of brass and chrome, not the cheap and tacky ones you get on eBay only used when I attended shows and events. An original manual rear screen blind complete with fittings.I also have original sales brochures for the MG range. I haven't considered prices yet but if anyone is interested let me know. I'm sure I will have more items but these are just a taster.
Wilsy

MGZT 190+

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 09:59 #3 

MrDoodles
Unfortunately that's called "Market Forces"

No one wants a thirsty old petrol engined car!

And that comes from someone who also ownes a 2002 ZT 190!

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 10:11 #4 

Borg Warner
I've just had my real MG valued for its insurance, very pleasantly surprised I must say. Chatting to the guy, who has been dealing with classic MGs for a good number of years, he advised me to stick the ZT in the garage and watch it appreciate which, as the numbers dwindle, it surely will.

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 11:23 #5 

MrDoodles
Borg Warner wrote:I've just had my real MG valued for its insurance, very pleasantly surprised I must say. Chatting to the guy, who has been dealing with classic MGs for a good number of years, he advised me to stick the ZT in the garage and watch it appreciate which, as the numbers dwindle, it surely will.

But conversely, I remember a time when you couldn't give away 10-15 year old MGB's, as everyone wanted a Mk1 Golf GTI!

As I have posted elsewhere, our cars will continue to depreciate until they reach 15 years old, they then plateau until they reach 20 years old and then the survivors will slowly start to appreciate after that!

Just bear in mind the age of the MG's that ARE worth good money now!

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 11:45 #6 

Tourerfogey
Yep, if you're only going to get £500 for it, stick in a lock-up and just use it as a hobby car - worth hanging on to in the longer term.

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 12:23 #7 

MrDoodles
Tourerfogey wrote:Yep, if you're only going to get £500 for it, stick in a lock-up and just use it as a hobby car - worth hanging on to in the longer term.

What TF said! :)

For what these cars are currently worth, they aren't worth selling, you may as well hang onto it and go for a discount on the car you are buying for no part exchange! ;)

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 13:53 #8 

RhodieBill
Or maybe offer it for sale, at that price, on one the the owners forums.... Rather it go to someone that will keep it and make good use of it, even if it is for a limited period..... Better that than the auction then onto the scrap heap. (or just keep it).

NB. Just to let you know that even at half that price I couldn't afford to buy it right now........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 14:45 #9 

Last edited by RhodieBill on 26 Jul 2012, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

MrDoodles
RhodieBill wrote:Or maybe offer it for sale, at that price, on one the the owners forums.... Rather it go to someone that will keep it and make good use of it, even if it is for a limited period..... Better that than the auction then onto the scrap heap. (or just keep it).

Have to concur!

Better to offer it through the Owners sites and give an Enthusiast an opportunity to save her, rather than it be sent to auction and scrapped in a years time!

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 14:54 #10 

Jumper
MrDoodles wrote:
Tourerfogey wrote:Yep, if you're only going to get £500 for it, stick in a lock-up and just use it as a hobby car - worth hanging on to in the longer term.

What TF said! :)

For what these cars are currently worth, they aren't worth selling, you may as well hang onto it and go for a discount on the car you are buying for no part exchange! ;)

Seems to me, depending on the new car of choice, one might negotiate a cash discount of an amount greater than £500. Then you have the satisfaction of the dealer effectively buying your car and giving it back to you. Then put it on a SORN until the market improves or you can get better terms through club forums. All at the expense of the kindly dealer.

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 18:23 #11 

Borg Warner
MrDoodles wrote:
RhodieBill wrote:Or maybe offer it for sale, at that price, on one the the owners forums.... Rather it go to someone that will keep it and make good use of it, even if it is for a limited period..... Better that than the auction then onto the scrap heap. (or just keep it).

Have to concur!

Better to offer it through the Owners sites and give an Enthusiast an opportunity to save her, rather than it be sent to auction and scrapped in a years time!

Owners/enthusiasts will generally be willing to pay that little bit extra and will look after it. Whereas others will possibly use it as a hack. Perish the thought.

Must say Mr D Straights look very nice on our cars.

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 19:34 #12 

MrDoodles
Borg Warner wrote:
Must say Mr D Straights look very nice on our cars.

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but they are my favourite wheel on a Mk1 ZT, which is just as well, as that's what Ed the Zed came with! :mrgreen:

Posted 26 Jul 2012, 20:14 #13 

RhodieBill
Well that fell on deaf ears....... :(
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 20:26 #14 

Wilsy
Guys,

Thanks for all your replies. Due to time restraints I had to let her go. However the car is being sold on to someone who will appreciate it. To be honest if I had the space I would probably have kept it, but with the the new car and my Ford Capri 2.8 I just couldn't do it.
Wilsy

MGZT 190+

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 13:37 #15 

guru
Should have posted it up here, for £500 time constraints really wouldn't have been an issue ;)
2003 MG ZT-T 190 with LPG!
1991 Rover mk1c Rover Sterling
2004 mk2 MG ZS 180 with LPG

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 00:20 #16 

weeman
I was offered £450 for my 2004 ZTT CDTi, all the bells and whistles and half leather interior. Ended up selling private.
Great news if your looking to buy one of these, best value used cars on the market!!!

Posted 13 Aug 2012, 12:29 #17