Cruise Control Retro-fit advice please? by Chartermark (Page 1 of 2)

Chartermark
Just a bit of advice please. After 8 years, I'm going to have cruise control fitted and I understand there's the need for two switches? The first to turn it on and off, (like a mains control) so I thought a rocker switch on the lower dash panel, with a illuminated tell-tale would be OK. (10amp on Ebay £4 delivered)

Then as I understand it in addition to this the steering wheel itself houses controls, (presumably to set the speed and turn it off)?

I only having full use of my right arm (cruise controls on bottom left of wheel). I therefore wondered if a simple rocker switch on the L/H side of the rear of the steering wheel could substitute the actions of what takes place lower down - or am I barking up the wrong tree as usual?

Posted 19 Jun 2012, 16:26 #1 

raistlin
Martin, my cruise control function switch is on the lower RHS of my steering wheel, with the audio controls lower LHS?

I'm sure that's standard for our cars.

Anyway, as you are well aware, switches can be moved and / or made to function as required ;)

Are you going for the OEM setup or an aftermarket kit?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 19 Jun 2012, 17:30 #2 

Chartermark
Thanks Paul,

My wheel has the stereo controls on the left, with no controls on the right at present. I think Terry intends to retrofit the standard cruise controls to the wheel. So he could transfer the audio to the right and the cruise could then be on the left? I don't use the volume control much (it's the only one I do use incidentally) and I do have the Sony remote for it anyway? Am I right about the necessity for a separate on/off switch as well, independent for the steering wheel set-up?

It's an OEM retrofit Paul.

Martin

Posted 19 Jun 2012, 17:42 #3 

raistlin
You have PM Martin
Paul

Posted 19 Jun 2012, 17:46 #4 

Duncan
Yes, you need the switches described. The cruise on off switch is momentary, latched electronically. That way it always starts 'off' when you turn on the ignition. Is there any reason not to fit it where it would normally go in the centre console? The proper switches are fairly easily available. Anyhow, yes a simple on off switch is enough if you really want to do that.

Posted 19 Jun 2012, 18:04 #5 

Duncan
Regarding the on off switch. They are cheap enough. One here for example, although slightly scratched:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-ROVER-7 ... 35b958b29c

Or another with all four switches and the walnut trim:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-ZT-75-M ... 20c6f93b2c

Posted 19 Jun 2012, 18:21 #6 

JakeWilson
Hi Martin,

I've a dash switch which you're welcome to have FOC. If you can hang about till I am back I can fit the standard setup for you. I'm planning to be back for the East Kirkby meet so could do it then if needed as it's not a big job on the diesels.

Jake

Posted 19 Jun 2012, 19:27 #7 

Duncan
I've been in the garage, and have a set of wheel switches. However they could do with a minor touch up of the black paint in one place.

As with much stuff these days they are designed to be poke-yoke. That is you can't fit the switches to the wrong sides. This is to prevent wasted time if the person making the switch assembly getting it wrong, they simply can't. (Japanese idea). However the little pegs that line up with the holes could easily be removed and the brackets swapped. You are welcome to have these, pre modified, as I was about to skip them anyway!

Posted 19 Jun 2012, 19:34 #8 

raistlin
Looks like you're sorted Martin :lol:
Paul

Posted 19 Jun 2012, 19:49 #9 

Duncan
The hardest part to get is the diesel cruise interface which is different to the petrol one. Just plug it all in and it will work to a degree. To get full functionality your ZCS coding will need updating. I've not yet done one, so ought to sort out and get this done myself!

Posted 19 Jun 2012, 20:05 #10 

Chartermark
JakeWilson wrote:Hi Martin,

I've a dash switch which you're welcome to have FOC. If you can hang about till I am back I can fit the standard setup for you. I'm planning to be back for the East Kirkby meet so could do it then if needed as it's not a big job on the diesels.

Jake

Hi Jake,
Terry Shaw at Stourbridge is going to retro-fit the Cruise set up for me on July 11th, and has the switch set up for the steering wheel thank you. I'd just wondered as an afterthought, if it was possible to swap the positioning with the stereo controls somehow? Alternatively to just fit a simple rocker switch on the rear of the steering wheel on the right hand side, (easier for me) in a two click mode, for the set and release function of the cruise, with the on/off power switch located on the lower dash panel where the heated seat switches live.

I remember having a TR6, where the cruise was operated by a long bladed flick switch. I had two hands in those days, but it was easily the best control for this function I've ever used.

Are you back in the UK permanently yet?

Martin

Posted 19 Jun 2012, 23:57 #11 

Chartermark
Duncan wrote:The hardest part to get is the diesel cruise interface which is different to the petrol one. Just plug it all in and it will work to a degree. To get full functionality your ZCS coding will need updating. I've not yet done one, so ought to sort out and get this done myself!

Thanks Duncan,

You may remember we had to 'disconnect' the Cruise dash tell tale on my IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) at Pauls a few years back, when it came on and refused to go out? I don't need the light, but I'm now wondering if that 'mod' effects the cruise operation or not? Terry Shaw has a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) so presumably he can sort the ZCS out OK?

I suppose I could fit a new IPK, as mine does not have the full functions (fuel consumption etc), but I understand there not easy to locate for a diesel?

Martin

Posted 20 Jun 2012, 00:04 #12 

Chartermark
Duncan wrote:Regarding the on off switch. They are cheap enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-ZT-75-M ... 20c6f93b2c

Duncan,

If you remember I have a 20mm rocker switch on my existing panel for the front sensors I have fitted. Looking at the four switch assembly, (ebay above) which is ideal, do you know if the space in the middle (between the cruise and rear blind) is empty behind the walnut trim panel. If so I could locate the 20mm holed front sensor rocker in the space very nicely? I have a feeling there's a structure bar that might prevent this idea though?

Posted 20 Jun 2012, 00:16 #13 

Duncan
There's enough space for five switches in total, so no central bar. You should be OK.

Posted 20 Jun 2012, 06:58 #14 

Chartermark
Thanks Duncan,

Has anyone got a close up picture of what the cruise controls look like on the steering wheel please?

Posted 20 Jun 2012, 15:21 #15 

kandyman
Chartermark wrote:Thanks Duncan,

Has anyone got a close up picture of what the cruise controls look like on the steering wheel please?

Here's one I found on the net.

Posted 20 Jun 2012, 17:05 #16 

Bermudan 75
No one seems to have mentioned the CC ECU (Engine Control Unit)? I assume you have this piece of kit Martin?

Posted 20 Jun 2012, 18:06 #17 

Duncan
Rover418275 wrote:No one seems to have mentioned the CC ECU? I assume you have this piece of kit Martin?

Post number 10.

Posted 20 Jun 2012, 18:08 #18 

Chartermark
Rover418275 wrote:No one seems to have mentioned the CC ECU? I assume you have this piece of kit Martin?

The chap doing the job I'm sure has this part thanks Mike, but I'll certainly check with him.

Posted 20 Jun 2012, 19:39 #19 

Last edited by Chartermark on 20 Jun 2012, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

Chartermark
kandyman wrote:
Chartermark wrote:Thanks Duncan,

Here's one I found on the net.

Thanks Andy, I was interested to see what was involved in the switch and whether I could replace the wheel controls with a stalk switch located near the left hand side of the wheel, or a two way rocker switch on the rear of the steering wheel. From what I see the top switch 'sets' the speed and presumably the bottom turns of the cruise function?

Posted 20 Jun 2012, 19:44 #20