Cracking Up :( by Tourerfogey

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Tourerfogey
Hadn't noticed before, but this morning I found two, YES TWO not one, cracks in my wooden (plastic) dash panel. - See pic:

Anyone else experienced this and if so did you do anything about it? Seems to me the only real remedy is to find an undamaged replacement as I'm sure any attempt to repair the damage will stick out like a sore thumb :(

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 19:04 #1 

Bermudan 75
I would try and find a real wooden dash to replace it, you will notice the difference.

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 19:18 #2 

Duncan
Absence of cracks as a start....

:gmc:

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 19:19 #3 

JakeWilson
Even the wood dashes seem prone to cracking around the vents - easiest best would be to change - as has been said - a walnut set would suit it well!

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 19:55 #4 

Tourerfogey
JakeWilson wrote:Even the wood dashes seem prone to cracking around the vents - easiest best would be to change - as has been said - a walnut set would suit it well!

Actually, I would expect the real wood dashes to be more prone to cracking than the plastic dashes - wood being a more unstable material and therefore prone to changes in temperature etc.

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 20:03 #5 

JakeWilson
Agreed, however the wood trims were metal backed, as opposed to the later plastic ones that weren't (Ok, some early plastic ones were) so In my mind should be tougher, at least against flexing, but as you say - possibly worse against temp.

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 20:06 #6 

Duncan
On real wood ones, it's actually the lacquer that can crack. My 2000 car has seen plenty of cold and hot but no cracks I've spotted.

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 20:11 #7 

RhodieBill
Forgive my ignorance but that dash looks like it is really bad fitting to.... You can see all the stuff behind it. Sorry but it looks really sub-standard! Would change even if it wasn't cracked....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 20:50 #8 

Tourerfogey
It's never been removed so that's how it was fitted at the factory . . .

. . . so yes, you're probably right, it is badly fitted :lol:

Posted 31 Jan 2012, 23:03 #9 

PaulT
RhodieBill wrote:Forgive my ignorance but that dash looks like it is really bad fitting to.... You can see all the stuff behind it. Sorry but it looks really sub-standard! Would change even if it wasn't cracked....

Isn't that the trademark of plastic dashes - plenty of clearance around everything. By contrast the wood dashes were nice and tight. There's progress for you
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 01 Feb 2012, 07:53 #10 

RhodieBill
I know, but I've never seen them quite that bad.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 01 Feb 2012, 14:35 #11 

carlpenn
TF -- I have a complete Plastic Dash assembly off my Tourer, you can have it for Postage costs if you like :)
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 07 Feb 2012, 00:04 #12 

Tourerfogey
That's a really nice gesture - thank you.
If I'm honest though it would probably only sit in my garage for 20 years gathering dust . . . :)

Posted 08 Feb 2012, 20:11 #13 

Bermudan 75
30 minute job to swop the dash at the forthcoming Wolves nano-meet.

Posted 09 Feb 2012, 19:52 #14