Cool Runnings by MrB

• Related topics: (no related topics)

MrB
Couple of weeks ago I had a new thermostat fitted and then I fitted my new PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) housing and filter and connected my Synergy 2.

Since then it has been quite noisey when started. More clattery than it was before.

Today after sorting the tank seal I started it and again quite clattery on startup - sounded like my old Cavalier TD.

So I ran it til hot and then gave it a standing Italian Tuneup and then it was running as before - all lovely smooth and quiet. There was a short, 5 or 6 second period, during the high rev run where it did run lumpy and blow a little blue smoke, but then all smooth and back to how I remember it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Obviously I'll have to wait a while before I can start it from cold again, but was just wondering.

I would add I have not connected the MAFAM section, just the TU3. Even though it is a bit gutless at low revs and actually needs quite a few revs to get it going from a standstill. But it never produces any smoke, so I don't think it is overfuelling, although to me it always smells a little chokey. However both Russ and Andy Willi disagreed with regarding the fumes smell.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 15:29 #1 

DeuxGazoles
The synergy will make it a little more "crackley" especially from cold as it increases the fuel pressure & therefore the amount delivered.................nowt to worry about ;)
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 20:13 #2 

MrB
DeuxGazoles wrote:The synergy will make it a little more "crackley" especially from cold as it increases the fuel pressure & therefore the amount delivered.................nowt to worry about ;)

Cheers Col

Makes me feel better.

I will get it over to Russ at some point for him to put his box of tricks back on it and have another look around.

Be good to know whether the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is good etc.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 21:49 #3 

DeuxGazoles
Not a bad idea ;)

oh just been up to Bonny Alnwick tonight to sort something for Dreadnought
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 21:55 #4 

MrB
Alnwick is certainly very bonny. :D

Just a little more info on my cold running problem.

It was rattly again on startup the other day, dropped the clutch and much better, so I think maybe it just depends how everything is aligned when cold as to whether it puts a little extra strain into the engine.

However when cold it did seem to miss, every now and then, accompanied by a little blue smoke when it did. Would like to point out, once up to temperature this doesn't happen.

My thinking is maybe a sticky valve that is more prominent when the oil isn't up to temperature??

Anyone have any other ideas?

Might throw an engine flush in the oil and give it an oil and filter change, see if that improves things.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 20 Aug 2010, 12:54 #5 

MrB
I also posted this problem on the OC site and one of the members over there told me how he had this same problem on his and that it was down to the oil having been slightly overfilled.

Now I have to hold my hands up on this one, as I topped up the oil only a couple of weeks ago, as I thought it was reading low and may have been the cause of my noisier engine.

Having had a further look around I found info over there on how to correctly check the oil level.

Seems you can't just dip the dipstick and take a reading but that it takes time for the bottom of the tube to fill after you have removed the dipstick for the first time.

Anyway I then had to decide how to get some oil out as I didn't have anything big enough to hold 6+ litres of oil. The method I chose was time consuming and messy, dipstick and copious amounts of Plenty Kitchen Towel.

Now runs like a dream again, with no missing and no blue smoke.

So if anyone else gets the symptoms of the engine missing, accompanied by puffs of blue smoke and can rule out the PCV, EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) etc, then it may just be that your engine is very slightly overfull.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 25 Aug 2010, 22:00 #6 

jonjon77
hi chris,l nearly did the same thing when l checked the oil for the first time.fortunately l checked again before l topped it up.is the car up and running now?l will have to drop the wheels off for you sometime.

jon

Posted 26 Aug 2010, 12:26 #7 

MrB
Jon

It is now my daily driver :D

Was gonna drop you a PM, the Civic has gone so I now have the money to pay you for the wheels.

Unfortunately, my lumpy running and blue smokiness returned with a vengeance this morning.

Gonna have to take another look at this. Don't understand why it is only when its cold, as soon as it's up to temp no smoke and runs like a dream.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 26 Aug 2010, 16:25 #8 

jonjon77
its good to hear your driving the car now.shame about its little problem,l wonder what it is.have you tried giving it a good blast or some injector cleaner?let me know when your free and we will sort the wheels

jon

Posted 26 Aug 2010, 17:39 #9 

Russ
(Trader)
If you're popping over to Jon's call in and we can finish off the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session and have a look at what's going on.

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 27 Aug 2010, 10:14 #10 

MrB
Russ wrote:If you're popping over to Jon's call in and we can finish off the T4 session and have a look at what's going on.

Russ

Cheers Russ

I was hoping to come see you to help me check I have the synergy set up properly as well. I don't feel the performance improvements others mention.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 28 Aug 2010, 12:40 #11 

MrB
Jon & Russ

Is there any evening this week you are free so as I can come and collect and pay for the wheels from you John?

Also so as I can see Russ to complete the T4 session.

Unless you're both going to the Community Picnic on Sunday and we can sort it then?

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 11:18 #12 

jonjon77
hi chris,l cant speak for russ as l know he has been busy with family commitments but lm free any evening this week.l could bring them with me to sundays meet if thats any easier for you

jon

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 15:28 #13 

Russ
(Trader)
Hi Chris, any day should be fine except Thursday as I'm busy all day unfortunately.

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 15:46 #14 

MrB
jonjon77 wrote:hi chris,l cant speak for russ as l know he has been busy with family commitments but lm free any evening this week.l could bring them with me to sundays meet if thats any easier for you

jon

John

Whatever is easier for you.

Am quite happy to sort at the community picnic on Sunday but equally as happy to call in one evening and collect.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 18:35 #15 

MrB
Russ wrote:Hi Chris, any day should be fine except Thursday as I'm busy all day unfortunately.

Russ

Russ

It's likely to be Tuesday or Friday, will let you know ASAP.

Daughter's first day at big school Wednesday and my sis in law is coming over.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 18:37 #16 

jonjon77
if you dont get chance to see russ this week l will bring them with me on sunday.save you making two trips over my way

jon

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 18:40 #17 

MrB
Cheers jon

Be good to see you Sunday either way.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 06 Sep 2010, 19:24 #18