Compensate that! by geesmith

• Related topics: (no related topics)

geesmith
I'm currently spending too much time and effort trying to replace the car that was rear ended.
I spend a lot of the evening searching, checking reviews, researching CAR MODEL fault/problem/help right up to the early hours.
It must be a similar, compact but spacious size. Modest VED, low insurance, fuel efficient,good safety figures, automatic with air con. All within £4k ideally. To be a contender, with the emphasis on replacement, it needs full service history and only 20k on the clock.
Nightmare.
Then, last night whilst exploring the alternatives and having increased my search to "National" I started finding cars of a reasonable age, with mileage under 60k..oh hang on...in the description of these tidy looking vehicles it says ...catD repair.

..the car I'm trying to replace is cat D.

The insurance need to know if the vehicle you want to insure has been cat D. . . we seem to be going in circles.

Posted 20 Mar 2012, 20:53 #1 

geesmith
Well that's me out of the loop. Turin Tardis. All handbooks in Italian, first three service stamps in and around Turin. One owner by the name of Dr Somethingorotheretti.
32k on the clocketta. Better wipe down the multimeter, never had so many gadgets and extras. Seats fold to make a dining area or sleeping area for two. Rear seats slide individually right back, or almost up to the back of the front seats..doggy friendly...particularly with his ability to look out of the windows while sitting.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 29 Mar 2012, 22:50 #2 

PaulT
Now to legally pass an MOT in the UK it will require a speedometer that shows MPH. If this started life in Italia then it will have had a speedometer in KPH. So, if it is legal it now sports a speedometer that it did not start life with so showing 32k does not show what the car has done.

Incidentally, under eu law an MPH speedometer must also have KPH markings
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 05:39 #3 

Duncan
PaulT wrote:Incidentally, under eu law an MPH speedometer must also have KPH markings

Not true I'm afraid. I've had several recently that only have MPH markings. They do have the ability to show kph in the central LCD though.

EDIT:
Skoda Superb is one example.

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 06:57 #4 

PaulT
I stand corrected - but am I right that they must be able to show kph as you state the Skoda can?
Paul

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 07:18 #5 

Duncan
PaulT wrote:I stand corrected - but am I right that they must be able to show kph as you state the Skoda can?

Not sure. I'll ask.

I would have thought it's quite a customer requirement though as many people travel overseas.

EDIT:

it looks like ECE39 does require speedos in kmh on all cars, with MPH as well on imperial ones. It doesn't say they have to be on the same dial though, indeed it doesn't say they have to be a dial at all. I guess that's how thos few cars that do it, are allowed.

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 07:58 #6 

Last edited by Duncan on 30 Mar 2012, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

PaulT
Duncan wrote:
PaulT wrote:I stand corrected - but am I right that they must be able to show kph as you state the Skoda can?

Not sure. I'll ask.

I would have thought it's quite a customer requirement though as many people travel overseas.

But Johnny Foreigner coming to the UK will only have KPH, admittedly not as many to the UK as Brits to the continent

Paul
Paul

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 08:24 #7 

Bermudan 75
This would all be sorted if Johnny Foreigner countries converted to the Imperial measures,worked ok for the good old Empire.....what ever did happen to that Napoleon chappie?

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 08:30 #8 

geesmith
The multifunctional display has the option to select kph/mph...etc

Purchase cost was approx 60% of insurance cheque. Loan Astra has been exorcised and banished back to wherever it came from.

Rotary speedo shows MPH with KPH surround (as per very common).
The gearbox...self selects Neutral when you insert the key, selects Neutral if you open a door.

Tiny on the outside..inside:
spacious entrance hall leading to a large reception area. A grand staircase leads to the upper landing which serves access to....

2x UK MoT certs confirming mileage. All other service stamps are from around the Manchester area.

Italian equivalent of an MoT (sticker on windscreen) declares it safe to drive on the road or sidewalk. The car is right hand drive from birth. The modular ash tray still contained some nuts and raisins.

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 14:37 #9 

Last edited by geesmith on 01 Apr 2012, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

geesmith
Sorry about the previous post...I was still excited.

I meant to say, it already has two UK MoT's, a full service history and the car came with the same speedo it left the factory with (kph/mph).
If I switch the readout to kilometres the total obviously changes to show the actual distance travelled in that format. It's currently showing the distance in miles.
There is also a certificate to show it has been registered in the UK at the start of 2011 just before the 1st MoT cert. The number on the plate is 05 to tally with it's release date from Italian Automobile Factory, Turin (Fabricata Italiano Automobili Torino)...no mention of Toni or Tomorrow :confused:

It has no upstairs. I blatantly lied about that. :)
The guy below loves the improved visibilty.

My boy.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 31 Mar 2012, 23:50 #10