Cheapskate trailer manufacturers! by Duncan

Duncan
Last weekend, in the wet on Sunday, I finally finished installing the towing electrics on the tourer. I connected up the light board off my trailer, and immediately got a trailer bulb fail warning. Checked all the lights, but they are working fine. So I was a little suspicious of my wiring.

No time to look at it then, so had a poke around today. Luckily, over the week I'd had a thought. The tail lights have two separate circuits for left and right, so you don't lose all your rear lights with a fuse / wiring fault. Now the cheapskate trailer manufacturer has saved a few tenths of a eurocent by not using two circuits, but driving both bulbs from one side using 6 core wire instead of 7 core. Neither of my previous towcars had bulb fail warning on the tail lamps so had never detected this. Added an extra wire alongside the existing cable, no more fault warnings.

Posted 19 Jun 2011, 16:12 #1 

JohnDotCom
Having a decent car with always available Red rear light each side by switching to a working bulb means as you say many won't bother to wire for it!
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 19 Jun 2011, 17:50 #2