CDTi Fuel Pump MK1 MK2 types by stroheim

stroheim
My CDTi late 2004 has one in-tank pump and I have done >84K and I am thinking of the future longevity of the pump. Can anyone tell what is the difference in the Mk1 in-tank pump to the MK2 in-tank and where could I get the latest design of pump... Thanks

Posted 31 Jan 2013, 19:43 #1 

Duncan
I can't comment other than to say it's not a Mk1 vs Mk2 thing. My Mk2 has two pumps, though it's a mid 04 model.

Posted 31 Jan 2013, 19:53 #2 

stroheim
Hi thanks for the reply. It seems that there wasn't a cut off point to implement the changes for the pump since cars were fitted late into 2004 with the two pump system. Maybe its because they were using parts they had to finish cars during those troubled financial times.

Posted 31 Jan 2013, 23:26 #3 

JakeWilson
As far as I've managed to deduce having had 4 facelift diesels, that they phased the old system (2 pump) out in the first 3-4 months of MK2 production. 04 reg cars seem to be cross-overs, but all the 54 reg cars onwards have been 1 pump.

Obviously the exception to this will be cars that were stood for quite a while after production.

As I understand it, the pump was redeveloped to erase the issues with pump failure found in the old system, it also runs at a significantly higher pressure.

As for mileage expectancy, mine is about to approach 140k and is still on its original pump, so touch wood will be OK. I do know however, that they re bloody expensive (Circa £500) from RB if you need one!

Posted 01 Feb 2013, 00:56 #4 

stroheim
:) Hi thanks for the info, hopefully my ITP will last for a while yet
JakeWilson wrote:As far as I've managed to deduce having had 4 facelift diesels, that they phased the old system (2 pump) out in the first 3-4 months of MK2 production. 04 reg cars seem to be cross-overs, but all the 54 reg cars onwards have been 1 pump.

Obviously the exception to this will be cars that were stood for quite a while after production.

As I understand it, the pump was redeveloped to erase the issues with pump failure found in the old system, it also runs at a significantly higher pressure.

As for mileage expectancy, mine is about to approach 140k and is still on its original pump, so touch wood will be OK. I do know however, that they re bloody expensive (Circa £500) from RB if you need one!

Posted 01 Feb 2013, 11:02 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
There is an alternative option for replacement ITP which some have used. peugeot-diesel-in-tank-pump-fuel-pump-retrofit.html

Posted 01 Feb 2013, 11:23 #6 

JakeWilson
Mick wrote:There is an alternative option for replacement ITP which some have used. peugeot-diesel-in-tank-pump-fuel-pump-retrofit.html

I am not convinced these work as we've fitted one of these and the fuel pressure still isn't enough!

Posted 01 Feb 2013, 15:18 #7