CCTV by kandyman

• Related topics: (no related topics)

kandyman
Hello Guys,

I have got hold of a WiFi IP camera http://www.smartwitness.com/product.php ... 66&xSec=28

What im after is a free DNS Hosting soulition as i dont have a fixed IP address.

i use to use one years ago but they are now charging for useing it.

Anyone using one ?

Cheers

Posted 08 Jun 2012, 21:58 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
It says " Connects to wired or wireless networks"
I'm presuming it's IP is assigned dynamically by your router (DHCP), so the external IP doesn't come into the equation. The device is on your local network. If the device has to be set up manually it will still want a local IP within the range specified in your router.

Posted 08 Jun 2012, 22:28 #2 

kandyman
Yes it connect to my wirless network and i can veiw the stream from my PC or iphone when i am connected to the same network. What i want to do is connect to the camera over the internet when i am away from the house.

Posted 08 Jun 2012, 22:31 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
OK yes I get it now. :)
Just been reading some more info about it's functions.

Posted 08 Jun 2012, 22:36 #4 

Duncan
Yes I use one. I'm using dyndns for the same purpose. I get a .homedns.org domain, though there are choices. Another option is noip but you have to use a PC to update the external ip address or they disconnect you. with dyndns your router can do it for you.

Posted 09 Jun 2012, 08:33 #5 

Duncan
Just looked, and although I'm not paying, you can't now get an account with dyndns for free. Sorry, not much help then!

Posted 09 Jun 2012, 09:18 #6 

kandyman
Cheers Duncan,

It looks like I'll have to go with one from these guys as they seem to offer the best and it's only £20 for a year.

Just have to work out about port forwarding. Ow on the BT router.

Posted 09 Jun 2012, 10:10 #7