Calling all truckers by PaulT

PaulT
Two things have interested me, can you provide answers?:

When the tractor unit of an artic is being driven how does it handle without the trailer?

At the back on either side of a tanker are green lights - what is the significance of these?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 26 Mar 2012, 06:40 #1 

monsterness
it drives like a sports car but crap at going round corners stick it in the right gear like 5th high and will beat most cars from the lights , the green lights on the trailer are to show the ABS (Antilock Braking System) on the trailer is working

Posted 26 Mar 2012, 10:12 #2 

Dave
Question 2 - no idea!

Question 1, as an ex-trucker (and Owner/Driver) I can answer this! And the short answer to how it handles is - brilliantly! When you bear in mind that a fully laden arctic can weigh in excess of 40 tonnes and still keep up with traffic, take the load and trailer away and you are left with a unit which weighs, in the case of the Volvo F10 I used to own, just shy of 7 tonnes, with around 300bhp on tap (* I can't recall the exact bhp from memory, just Googled it). So you end up with a tall, and admittedly fairly heavy two seater sports car! :mrgreen:

As Monsterness said above, you can beat most cars away from the lights. In fact I did this fairly often, lots of fun leaving Porsches etc standing! :mrgreen: Doesn't take long before they catch you up mind, as they are only using a few gears as opposed to 16 or so on a truck!

As far as cornering is concerned, it's obviously not going to be in the same league as a low slung sports car, but equally, not as bad as you might imagine, as the vast percentage of the weight is nice and low down

As for speed.... In the "good old days" pre speed limiters, it was very easy to get well over 75mph out of the unit alone (not that I ever did this of course! :-D )

Posted 26 Mar 2012, 12:15 #3 

monsterness
nor me i used to chase eastern scottish coahes up the A74 at over 85/ 90 with a Scania 500 bhp and the coaches would move over :0

Posted 26 Mar 2012, 14:14 #4 

PaulT
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

One of the reasons for asking was that I do not think I have ever seen the tractor unit being driven in anger - obviously, this would not have been the case if I travelled the A74 regularly :-D
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 27 Mar 2012, 07:21 #5 

Dave
PaulT wrote:One of the reasons for asking was that I do not think I have ever seen the tractor unit being driven in anger

TBH, you seldom see units being driven solo, as if they are not hauling they are not making money ("a wheel turning is a wheel earning" used to be the maxim!)

Usually you only see them solo if they are new ones being delivered, or existing fleet trucks on their way to pick up a trailer from a nearby yard or on their way to the Test Station!

Posted 27 Mar 2012, 08:04 #6 

monsterness
or a race track

Posted 27 Mar 2012, 10:02 #7 

Dave
There is that!

Posted 27 Mar 2012, 10:45 #8 

geesmith
I thought the green lights were like aircraft warning lights in case the contents ignited and launched the trailer like a rocket. I was wrong then?

Posted 29 Mar 2012, 00:22 #9 

monsterness
No abs i remember when they first came out on trucks ,that is why they can stop a hell of a lot quicker than they use to do

Posted 29 Mar 2012, 07:48 #10 

geesmith
...not rocket warning lights then. :cry:

Posted 29 Mar 2012, 22:35 #11 

monsterness
i wish i could have blown up a few numpty car drivers in my time like Boulevard Périphérique or the Amalfi Coast road Italy

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 09:49 #12