Bug !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by Tourerfogey

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Tourerfogey
I have what looks like a small bug crawling around on the inside of my computer screen. Now, being paranoid, I couldn't help but wonder whether this is an actual real live critter that's found its way into my monitor or whether it's a computer generated bug produced by some piece of malware etc.

So I googled it!

This however, proved rather inconclusive as some computer forums seemed to say it was a real live critter and is quite common, other forums predicted it to be something far more sinister . . .

Anyone here had anything similar or got any ideas?

Oh, and I realise that this is good material for the comedians amongst you . . .

Posted 26 Jun 2011, 19:33 #1 

Last edited by Tourerfogey on 26 Jun 2011, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

Zeb
Best ask Kandyman...

Posted 26 Jun 2011, 19:33 #2 

Duncan
Like Zeb suggests, might be Andy's pet. If it's on pages other than the forum, could be a thunderbug, they do get everywhere.

Posted 26 Jun 2011, 19:36 #3 

Tourerfogey
Mmm - it's nowhere near as big as the one in his avatar - it's just a little line - no visible legs - but it scoots around the screen, then stops for a while before it's off on its travels again.

Posted 26 Jun 2011, 19:37 #4 

Duncan
Thunderbugs, or Thrips which is there proper name, are tiny, so you may not see legs and so on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

In this kind of weather (heat after a damp spell) they thrive. Small enough to get through the screen on smoke detectors and trigger them. When camping once we got invaded: in the salt pot which had a cap, in your underwear, everywhere. Thouroughly irritating, and they do have a habit of getting inside LCDs between the font galass and the rest of it.

Just hope it crawls somewhere out of view before it expires, assuming that's what it is.

Posted 26 Jun 2011, 19:45 #5 

kandyman
The best way to get rid of a thunderbug is at night when your computer and monitor is off leave a desk lamp on and this this might draw them out.

Posted 26 Jun 2011, 19:46 #6 

Duncan
Tried this, and there is still one, just to the left of my screen, driving me crazy. Only seems to appear with certain posts, though.......

Posted 26 Jun 2011, 19:50 #7 

SpongeBob
They are a right royal pain in the, errr.. monitor. As you say, they seem to get in behind the screen and then (worst case scenario) they die and sometimes end up stuck to the inside surface - where you cant get at them :(

Posted 26 Jun 2011, 20:12 #8 

Tourerfogey
I think it's died - has been motionless at the bottom of my screen all day . . .

Posted 27 Jun 2011, 21:55 #9