Brilliant sales technique by raistlin

raistlin
I was intending to buy a new tripod from fleabay. I know exactly the model I want and there was one for sale, buy-it-now, for £89. Not a brilliant price but a few quid better than the equivalent on Amazon.

Got home this evening, about to click on it when I noticed the price had gone to £189.

Thinking there was an error, I sent a message to the seller asking what had happened. I got a message back as follows:-

"Buy it - don't buy it. All the same to me, just don't waste my time asking stupid questions."

There's obviously some reason why, having had brisk sales at £89, they suddenly jump the price to something approaching £100 more than Amazon, with more than 10 still remaining to be sold.

I just can't fathom it :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 27 Jun 2013, 18:55 #1 

Duncan
Sellers do vary in attitude and while I'm sure plenty of daft questions are asked, some sellers treat everyone as stupid. I'm sure there are plenty of bad buyers too!

I recently bought something advertised as brand new. Not a mark or a scratch on it. When it arrived it was clearly nothing of the sort, and although fine for what I wanted and paid, the description was plain dishonest. I've seen sellers complain about not being given the chance to rectify problems. In my book, they could start by not lying about what they are selling.

Posted 27 Jun 2013, 19:06 #2 

Bermudan 75
Hope you sent it back and got a full refund, Duncan. Have these people not heard of the Sale of Goods Act?

Cheers

Mike

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 15:56 #3 

Duncan
Rover418275 wrote:Hope you sent it back and got a full refund, Duncan. Have these people not heard of the Sale of Goods Act?

Cheers

Mike

I could have sent it back, but it wasn't worth it. The price was OK for a used part in as good condition as the existing three (it replaced a lost wheel trim, 1 winter old). That's what I mean about them putting it right, the only opportunity was before the sale, to describe it truthfully. It would have been more of an issue if there had been other bidders and I'd paid closer to my maximum based on the description. Doesn't absolve them from the outright lie, though.

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 17:07 #4 

raistlin
Following on from the OP, the seller is a camera shop in Cardiff and the tripod is on sale on their website for £89.

Difficult to understand the workings of some minds.
Paul

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 18:02 #5 

Duncan
They must have been having a bad day!

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 20:48 #6 

raistlin
The world has gone crazy:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velbon-Sherpa-DV7000-Fluid-Head-Video-Tripod-/400472034502?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item5d3dfe4cc6

These tripods sell for roughly £90 to £100. Their MRP is £150ish.

Somebody has actually bought one at the ridiculous changed price of one penny short of £190.

Cardiff Camera Centre are selling them on their own website for £89. WTF?
Paul

Posted 28 Jun 2013, 22:12 #7