Bought another MGf today by carlpenn

carlpenn
It is a 1996 1.8i Model, No Tax, Mot or Keys. But Bodywork is in fantastic condition.

Not sure what the best way round the Key problem is and am hoping the Plates remain with the Car as I think the plates only are retained for so long after the MOT Expires? Not sure how that works

Cost me £225 at Auction..........

Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 21 Jun 2012, 18:40 #1 

Duncan
I think keys are much more straightforward than 75s as I believe you can simply program another fob, and the keys are just keys without electronics.

Posted 21 Jun 2012, 19:01 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Lovely colour and for pocket money. Yes I am jealous. :mrgreen:

Posted 21 Jun 2012, 19:02 #3 

Bernard
That's a price that you would just have to take it at, whether you want it or not.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 21 Jun 2012, 22:09 #4 

Bermudan 75
at £225 you have got youself a nice little run around. I can't say that I have ever heard of number plates expiring before though. If the car is off the road and SORN the plate surely stays with the registered keeper /vehicle ?

Posted 21 Jun 2012, 22:43 #5 

PaulT
Yve bought a new car in the 90s, the dealer registered it and she then immediately put a personailised plate on it. When she sold it a couple of years ago she took the personalised plate off and DVLA issued the original number plate.

Number plates can only be transferred or retained if the vehicle is road legal, i.e. it has an MOT.

Beware of absolute heaps that would require extensive work to get an MOT, i.e. it is only suitable for parts, where they make great play of the plate being transferable.

By the way looks an absolute bargain.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 22 Jun 2012, 03:36 #6 

carlpenn
Cheers PaulT.

The Plate isn't a major issue if it is no longer retained. There is plenty of "MGF" Plates available up to £500 so I know what to buy Wifey for Christmas now lol !!

The running MGf has its MOT due in August, so we are going to see what it fails on, because it will fail, There is an ABS (Antilock Braking System) Issue that has been hidden by disconnecting the Bulb! Amongst a couple of other issues we have found, but obviously need it through the MOT first to see what needs doing, dependant on how much work it needs will decide its fate - The intention being to bring both cars up to scratch, but the 96 Model may be put on the road first followed by the 98 plate over time.

The 96 Plate is very clean Bodywise but as no Keys, we have no idea of Mechanicals, but both Cars are a project so to speak, so we shall see :)
Upgrades:

Posted 22 Jun 2012, 07:09 #7 

Dave
I'll give you £226 for it!

Posted 22 Jun 2012, 08:08 #8 

carlpenn
Dave wrote:I'll give you £226 for it!

lol !!

We had another BRG one sell with MOT (around 3 or 4 months left) for £450 recently.

We have had quite a few MGf's in now. If you are looking for one, I will give you a shout next time we get on in ;)
Upgrades:

Posted 22 Jun 2012, 17:43 #9 

Dave
I don't think I'd get away with it! Gill is looking to sell her MX5 soon, so if I got another two door convertible, I'd probably be in trouble!

Can't say I blame you at that price though!

Posted 22 Jun 2012, 17:52 #10 

carlpenn
A few more pics of when it arrived on Site:

and the Interior which is virtually immaculate:

The Car is showing 57k on the Clock, will need to check the MOT History once I get the Paperwork next week (Bringing the Car home next weekend) but if accurate then wow !!
Upgrades:

Posted 23 Jun 2012, 09:05 #11 

Duncan
That's a cracking car for the money. I mentioned this to my wife, and she's starting to quite fancy having one of these. So please keep an eye out. That one is fantastic for the money, doesn't look worn at all. I'd certainly have paid that for it!

Posted 23 Jun 2012, 11:17 #12 

carlpenn
Duncan wrote:That's a cracking car for the money. I mentioned this to my wife, and she's starting to quite fancy having one of these. So please keep an eye out. That one is fantastic for the money, doesn't look worn at all. I'd certainly have paid that for it!

I will certainly keep an eye out for you Duncan :)

We do get a few in, bearing in mind that most this cheap are sadly sold off to Breakers and Crushers so will not be Minters, However, getting an affordable fun drive isn't a problem (as with our Driving MGf at £350) as long as you don't mind working on it so to speak :)

We recently had the Ltd Edition MG 80th Birthday model in that sold for £2k. That was a beaut of a Car, if I had £2k I would have snapped it up without thinking about it :)
Upgrades:

Posted 23 Jun 2012, 12:30 #13 

Duncan
Yup. working on them isn't a problem, unless its welding. You wouldn't expect something mint at that price.

Just seen a couple of TFs that are cat C or D that just need a few front end bits.

Time to start some proper research!

Posted 23 Jun 2012, 14:36 #14 

carlpenn
They are great fun to drive and quite quick under foot. Top down is brilliant, especially with a Windbreak fitted. The only downside for me is the steering column is non adjustable and sits just above my Knee's making it a little awkward at times.

I joined the MGf Register Forum, lots of advice, same as here. Going to join the MG Owners Club too, £45 a year for myself and Tina. With lots of events and Discounts etc it seems worthwhile. In fact this weekend is MG Live but we couldn't go, Tina is at work and I have been tinkering on the MGf. Plus it is MOT time for the Rover next week so need to save my Pennies just in case.
Upgrades:

Posted 23 Jun 2012, 16:05 #15 

carlpenn
Oh and very cheap Insurance too if you join the Owners Club, I think Tina said hers is only £220 a year and thats fully comp with "0" No Claims as she has been driving on My insurance the last 5 years !! That was with Lancaster Insurance on Classic Insurance.

Is that arm fully twisted yet ;) lol.
Upgrades:

Posted 23 Jun 2012, 16:22 #16