He very kindly did a number of jobs for me whilst I watched and soaked up the knowledge (I would have liked to have said that I helped, but in all honesty, I didn't!)
- Change the pollen filter (very fiddly access which I would have struggled with)
- Change the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) filter (again, not the easiest item to get to and I would have taken 10 times as long. And broken something)
- Attempt to change the rings on the intercooler pipe (only to find that I had some sort of unique design which means my car does not have these! Looks nothing like the one in the "How To" - it's a big pipe not unlike the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) pipe, which has nothing to sit O rings in and is held on by jubilee clips. Where it attachs at the intercooler end, the plastic pipe comes off at 45 degrees instead of 90. Very odd)
- Modify the bonnet release cable (which I should have done ages ago)
- Re-fit the engine undertray which has been off since, ahem, April 2007
He then treated me to a sit in and listen to his MG ZT 260 (sadly on SORN) before a very spirited ride in his MG ZTT 190 - great fun to say the least and has now convinced me more than ever that I need one of these. All I need to do now is convince Gill that her Mazda MX5 is not a good car for the forthcoming very harsh winter (which to be fair, it's not) and I might be on to a winner!
Thanks Carl and good to meet you at last!