Big ends by Borg Warner

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Borg Warner
Guys how easy/difficult/costly is it to replace the big end on a 1.8K series engine?

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 19:36 #1 

Duncan
It will depend a lot on whether the crank is damaged or not.

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 21:12 #2 

Duncan
Just had a look in the manual, and it's quite big.

Head off, oil rail off and so on it says. Looks like you are supposed to have the engine out, and from what I see in the manual it would be a struggle to take the oil rail off without the crankshaft trying to fall out.

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 21:24 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
For the work involved it may be worth a recon, if you can remove and refit the engine yourself, otherwise a bit expensive.

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 21:27 #4 

Borg Warner
Reason I ask guys is I've got my eye on another Freeloader. Apparenlty the big ends have gone on it but it's a very good price, but not sure if it's worth it though? I've not heard of this problem happening before with the 1.8s so I don't know???

Thanks for the quick replies.

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 22:31 #5 

PaulT
Duncan is the manual doing what they sometimes do, go OTT? In my experience there are often ways of not having to do as much as the manual says - also allows garages to charge more.

The alternative is to buy a used engine - good time of year to buy as there will be some cars that have been damaged due to accidents in the ice and snow that are not being scrapped because of a dead or dying engine.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 16 Feb 2012, 07:53 #6 

WillyHeckaslike
It is doable with the engine fitted but not as easy as on other engines because, as said, the oil ladder has to be removed to access the bearings and the 10 cylinder head bolts are screwed into it. The crankshaft is held in position by its bearing ladder so it won't fall out if the oil ladder is removed. However, on some engines it may not be possible to turn the crankshaft with the cylinder head bolts undone which is summit else to consider. :scared:

Posted 20 Feb 2012, 01:24 #7 

Duncan
WillyHeckaslike wrote: The crankshaft is held in position by its bearing ladder so it won't fall out if the oil ladder is removed.

Ah that's good then. It looked from the manua like the oil rail also carried the main bearings, but I don't know the engine at all.

Posted 20 Feb 2012, 08:00 #8