Aviation #11 by podge

podge
Any Vulcan fans out there!..........well must be lots,I have been sent this ,30 minutes long but some great period footage.very "o.k. chaps chocks away" but great old shots!
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b4c_1322422192

Posted 17 Dec 2011, 00:18 #1 

geesmith
I've been a Vulcan fan since the age of 8 or 9 when I got to see one take off at Finningley air Show. They did a high rate of climb take off and we got to see the aircraft in what appeared to be almost plan view. To see the agility of this giant turning to starboard out of the climb was very impressive.

At the same show whilst watching one of the aeriel displays taking place over to our left I looked to the right and saw what appeared to be a low level train engine silently approaching about 50 feet off the ground surrounded by heat haze and vortices. Everyone else jumped out of their skin as the English Electric Lightning BOOMED past. Another all time favourite. :)

Many years later when I took my young daughters to the Church Fenton Air show I managed to look right at the optimum time again and managed to forewarn my girls just before the plane arrived. I can't for the life of me remember which plane was used this second time but I do recall the Harrier bowing and reversing along the runway...and a SeaKing doing unbelievable manoeuvres.

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 13:26 #2 

PaulT
Now the Harrier - didn't one of the Argentinian pilots comment that he was chasing one, it stopped, he zoomed past and it was then chasing him.

Should be some great displays by Harriers being given..........in the US!
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 19 Dec 2011, 16:06 #3 

Borg Warner
PaulT wrote:Now the Harrier - didn't one of the Argentinian pilots comment that he was chasing one, it stopped, he zoomed past and it was then chasing him.

Should be some great displays by Harriers being given..........in the US!

Read somwhere this is(was) called VIFFing Vectoring In Forward Flight. I'm sure an expert will confirm or deny.

Currenlty reading Vulcan 607. Fascinating stuff

Posted 19 Dec 2011, 17:38 #4 

PaulT
Vulcan 607 very interesting. Think it is in that book that the myth that Maggie Thatcher was the one who came up with the idea and told the military that they would rapidly go to the Falklands when it was the military that had to convince her that it should happen
Paul

Posted 19 Dec 2011, 19:13 #5 

geesmith
VIFFing. Correct. Turn the nozzles from rear past hover to forward thrust. Switch missiles to search and wait for the pursuing prey to over shoot. The best way I found to overcome this as a pursuer was to dive and accelerate away whilst turning left or right. Hopefully a 360 degree turn will find the Harrier again and not up to speed. Not that I flew for the Argentinians....I have a pc.

Yeah, let's sell them to the US. i bet the americans would love to buy the Houses of Parliament.

Posted 19 Dec 2011, 20:00 #6 

Borg Warner
PaulT wrote:Vulcan 607 very interesting. Think it is in that book that the myth that Maggie Thatcher was the one who came up with the idea and told the military that they would rapidly go to the Falklands when it was the military that had to convince her that it should happen

Well just finished it. Never realised that they flew a further four missions to the islands and the effect the raid had on how the war was conducted from an Argentine perspective.

I read today the war of words is heating up, lets hope it doesn't go too far eh?

Posted 21 Dec 2011, 14:52 #7 

PaulT
With the UK military force of four pea shooters and a catapult they would not dare do anything. The Government are taking precautions though and have chartered the Isle of Wight ferry to send reinforcements down comprising of a military band, after all have you ever had a clump from a bassoon - it can really hurt
Paul

Posted 22 Dec 2011, 09:24 #8