Automatic boot opener by stroheim (Page 5 of 6)

Bolin
raistlin wrote:
MrDoodles wrote:Daft question, is it possible to use the Mk2 Key fobs to operate the boot release on a Mk1 and if so, what modifications need doing please?

As far as I am aware, the functions of the remote are coded into the BCU (Body Control Unit) so you'd presumably need a Mk2 BCU which in turn will have to be coded to the car.

Duncan or Monk could probably be more precise but that's my understanding :)

Yes, a facelift BCU should do the job, coded to the car with T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) to keep the key fob remotes working. A member on the OC in Germany has done it.

BigRuss tried to get this to work on mine too, adding the remote boot unlocking into the ZCS codes but it wasn't having it, it just kept setting the alarm off and wouldn't work. It needs another look to get it to work. He was only going to charge £15 for the BCU, which is dirt cheap compared to eBay prices.

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 16:30 #81 

suzublu
Hi Paul,i've fitted the boot opening springs from Steve next door,& been reading this thread trying to glean info about the remote opening option you've done.How easy(or hard) is it to do & what do i need please,just the boot opening btw.Ronnie

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 19:46 #82 

raistlin
I understand Steve has put a link to one of my old documents over there Ronnie. That explains what you need, the difference being that you only need the one connection for the boot opener. You can ignore the other two connections which operate the lazy lock / vent functions.

It is very easy to do but I say that being somebody who has no fear of diving into the BCU wiring. I understand that such a thing can be daunting but I can say that many people have successfully done it now without wrecking their BCUs :lol: I would say allow an hour start to finish but don't be surprised if it takes significantly less time.

In effect, all you are doing is paralleling the function of the push button boot release by stimulating the appropriate part of the BCU with a remote generated pulse rather than the manually generated pulse from pushing the button.

As always, ask me any questions you want and if required, pop over to Wolvo and we can complete the task between us :)

You will need a third party remote kit. The fleabay items are cheap and cheerful but I would always go for the Quasar items. If you REALLY don't want to add remotivity (:lol:) to anything else then a single channel is all you need. However, I'd recommend you consider the four function setup as that leaves room for expansion. Up to you, that one is ;)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 20:13 #83 

suzublu
:clap: Excellent sir,a trip south is forthcoming.Can you point me in the right direction for the bits i need so that we can do it in July?May as well have all functionality as it's available :thumbsup:

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 20:22 #84 

MrDoodles
How difficult would it be to convert a Mk1 to work with the 3 button key off a Mk2??

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 20:37 #85 

raistlin
suzublu wrote::clap: Excellent sir,a trip south is forthcoming.Can you point me in the right direction for the bits i need so that we can do it in July?May as well have all functionality as it's available :thumbsup:

Would that be the July nano meet at Four Ashes? or the (rapidly) expanding July mini nano meet at my house Ronnie?

THIS is the Quasar four channel device I recommend Ronnie. They do a single channel one as well. Those on fleabay change so often I'd be hard pressed to give you a link which would remain valid so would suggest a search for something along the lines of:- "single (or four) channel 12v remote control"

If you are dead set against the quasar items, and find something on fleabay, by all means throw me a link and I'll see if it would be suitable. All other components, wiring etc will be provided by me, FOC of course.
Paul

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 20:41 #86 

raistlin
MrDoodles wrote:How difficult would it be to convert a Mk1 to work with the 3 button key off a Mk2??

No idea... but it DOES sound like an interesting project though. Something I've never thought about before ;) I expect that Bolin's answer above would probably be valid.
Paul

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 20:45 #87 

suzublu
Either nano would suit me Paul,thankyou very much,now at the bottom of the page on the link are 3 items for purchase,which of these do i need to buy? One would assume it's the first 3180KT?

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 20:52 #88 

raistlin
AS3180 - the assembled version is the one I'd have Ronnie. If you get the kit (AS3180), either you or I will have to assemble it before the nano-meet as it's not something I'd do on the day.
Paul

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 21:38 #89 

suzublu
Oky dokey Paul,i shall get that & hopefully,it will be delivered before either of the nano's. ;) Now the question is,would you prefer i came to your's,or will you have enough time at the full nano at the 4 ashes :confused: Much appreciated either way sir :clap: :hail:

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 21:50 #90 

raistlin
Quasar usually deliver within 48 hours Ronnie. As to venue, entirely your choice. Either a quick visit chez nous (you'll be doing the work supervised as I have a complete Ultimate Remote to fit) or two days and nights of unspeakable debauchery at Four Ashes :lol:
Paul

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 21:58 #91 

suzublu
Thanks Paul,item bought,shall await your directions as to fitting,your place or 4 Ashes. :hail:More likely the drunken antics around the camp fire at 4 Ashes :cheers: :panic: Many thanks for your help

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 22:03 #92 

Bolin
3 button remote on a MK2? As far as I know all remotes have just 2 buttons, on MK1 if you hold the unlock button it will operate 'lazy entry' (memory seats, if fitted), and on a MK2 holding the unlock button will unlock the boot. So if you change the BCU to get remote unlocking you will keep your existing key.

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 23:07 #93 

MrDoodles
Bolin wrote:3 button remote on a MK2? As far as I know all remotes have just 2 buttons, on MK1 if you hold the unlock button it will operate 'lazy entry' (memory seats, if fitted), and on a MK2 holding the unlock button will unlock the boot. So if you change the BCU to get remote unlocking you will keep your existing key.

Cool!

What's a BCU, where do I get one and is it "plug and play" or will it need a T4 Session to activate it please?

Posted 15 Jun 2012, 06:12 #94 

Mick
(Site Admin)
The BCU Body Control Unit is mounted behind your glove box.

Posted 15 Jun 2012, 10:15 #95 

Bolin
It's a box of electronics that controls the electrics for the car's body e.g. windows, doors etc (not the engine).

You will need T4 as otherwise your remotes will no longer work and you would have to use the key (which would defeat the purpose!). I think you also need the ZCS codes updating - not sure if the guy in the OC in Germany who successfully did this changed the ZCS or not, but Russ updated mine.

But still mine wouldn't play ball, so there may be something else that needs addressing. I have tried to contact the guy in Germany but no response. Hopefully Russ will get it to work next time I see him.

You can get BCU's from eBay, I was going to buy one from Russ for £15 but didn't as we couldn't get it to work.

Posted 15 Jun 2012, 10:54 #96 

MrDoodles
Thanks for the replies guys! :-D

So as long as I buy a BCU from (any) Mk2 75/ZT and then get a T4 Session, will I be able to remotely release my boot by simply holding down the unlock button on the key then? :!:

Posted 15 Jun 2012, 12:52 #97 

MrDoodles
Just as a a follow on from my last post, done a bit of searching on Rimmers site and eBay and correct me if I'm wrong, but am I correct in thinking that I need the unit with part no's YWC001520/1/2? :!:

As there's a few on eBay and they range from £20 inc postage to £115 + £12 postage! :-o

Posted 15 Jun 2012, 13:24 #98 

Bolin
YWC001521 or YWC001522 according to Rimmers - YWC001520 is pre-facelift so won't do it.

I am not sure if the ZCS codes need to be changed for this to work, Russ changed mine as he was changing them anyway for a few other retrofits. Changing the ZCS codes is quite a bit more involved than just a regular T4 session.

Plus there is the fact that this didn't want to work on my car, might just be my car up to it's usual tricks though!

Posted 15 Jun 2012, 17:13 #99 

MrDoodles
Bolin wrote:YWC001521 or YWC001522 according to Rimmers - YWC001520 is pre-facelift so won't do it.

I am not sure if the ZCS codes need to be changed for this to work, Russ changed mine as he was changing them anyway for a few other retrofits. Changing the ZCS codes is quite a bit more involved than just a regular T4 session.

Plus there is the fact that this didn't want to work on my car, might just be my car up to it's usual tricks though!

Good spot with the earlier part no, I'd missed that!

Think I'll drop a PM to MarinaBrian, as I'd quite like to do this mod, but I want to keep the operation, as OE as possible!

Posted 15 Jun 2012, 17:42 #100