Automatic boot opener by stroheim (Page 4 of 6)

raistlin
The remote I linked to in post 21 was only about £7 Richard, so would remotely open your boot and allow you to use lazy lock / vent remotely to open and close your windows / sunroof. The Quasar one does much the same but is more secure in terms of the RF link between transmitter fob and receiver. I've used the Quasar one on VeeKay for several years and I've always been really happy with it but I appreciate it is more expensive than those available on e-bay.

Anyway, as I've said before, as you're reasonably close at hand, happy to help if you want :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 12:57 #61 

persuer
Well Paul I bit the bullet and ordered one from Quasar, be in contact soon my friend.

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 16:52 #62 

raistlin
persuer wrote:Well Paul I bit the bullet and ordered one from Quasar, be in contact soon my friend.

In my view, the best available Richard. Are you going for the straightforward operation or the Ultimate Remote?
Paul

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 17:50 #63 

persuer
raistlin wrote:
persuer wrote:Well Paul I bit the bullet and ordered one from Quasar, be in contact soon my friend.

In my view, the best available Richard. Are you going for the straightforward operation or the Ultimate Remote?

Well Paul that depends on what else I would need for the Ultimate Remote :) .

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 19:00 #64 

raistlin
You need the Ultimate Remote module, which i designed but which is produced by ThinkTank Electronics on my behalf. You can find it by clicking the "Electrickery" link in my Sig.

It isn't vital though, just fun :lol: The windows / sunroof can be made to operate with just the Quasar unit you are buying. You have to hold the appropriate button down though, until the windows are where you want them.

Possibly not worth doing the whole Ultimate Remote unless you have powerfolds as well.
Paul

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 19:05 #65 

persuer
I think I will stick to the straightforward install if you would please, The wife thinks I have spent enough on my " mid life crisis :lol:" as she calls it and I am only 38 :). What else would I need for the straightforward option, connectors, cable ?.

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 19:23 #66 

raistlin
No other items required Richard. I will provide everything else :) I am probably going to be fitting an Ultimate Remote one weekend in July for Paul (Swordy) so could make it a mini nano meet maybe?

David (Monk) will probably be here as well so we can T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) your car and make sure the appropriate options are set.
Paul

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 19:44 #67 

persuer
Thanks for that Paul, As I am a bus driver my shifts are different every week so we would need to arrange closer to time a date and I will bring the biscuits :).

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 20:15 #68 

MrDoodles
Daft question, is it possible to use the Mk2 Key fobs to operate the boot release on a Mk1 and if so, what modifications need doing please?

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:22 #69 

raistlin
MrDoodles wrote:Daft question, is it possible to use the Mk2 Key fobs to operate the boot release on a Mk1 and if so, what modifications need doing please?

As far as I am aware, the functions of the remote are coded into the BCU (Body Control Unit) so you'd presumably need a Mk2 BCU which in turn will have to be coded to the car.

Duncan or Monk could probably be more precise but that's my understanding :)
Paul

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:35 #70 

MrDoodles
Thanks for your quick reply! :)

If that is the case, what sort of overall cost would I be looking at please?

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:37 #71 

raistlin
I haven't a clue. I imagine you could pick up a BCU for approx £50, plus a set of keys at, frankly, silly money.

Not trying to put you off but it's a little outside my experience :)
Paul

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:49 #72 

MrDoodles
No problem, was just trying to get an idea that's all!

Having a key operated remote opening on Ed the Zed, is one of the few things that I miss on him!

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 17:51 #73 

raistlin
MrDoodles wrote:Having a key operated remote opening on Ed the Zed, is one of the few things that I miss on him!

Have you thought about using the third party remote?
Paul

Posted 12 Jun 2012, 18:36 #74 

persuer
Quasar unit came this morning, Just waiting for my fellow members to arrange mini nano :).

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 09:37 #75 

raistlin
persuer wrote:Quasar unit came this morning, Just waiting for my fellow members to arrange mini nano :).

Looking like 8th July Richard :) Did the kit come with a plastic case for the receiver board?
Paul

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 10:48 #76 

persuer
raistlin wrote:
persuer wrote:Quasar unit came this morning, Just waiting for my fellow members to arrange mini nano :).

Looking like 8th July Richard :) Did the kit come with a plastic case for the receiver board?

No Paul all I got was a complete circuit board and fob, I hope I ordered the right one now.

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 12:35 #77 

raistlin
persuer wrote:I hope I ordered the right one now.

I'm sure you did Richard. At one time they gave an enclosure with the kit but I expect that is no longer the case. We will need to get an enclosure as the receiver board cannot really be left exposed. If you can let me know the dimensions of the receiver (including max height), I will see if I have something suitable either at home or at work.
Paul

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 13:03 #78 

persuer
raistlin wrote:If you can let me know the dimensions of the receiver (including max height), I will see if I have something suitable either at home or at work.

Thanks I got into a bit of a panic for a moment :panic: .

The dimensions are W:89mm L:72mm D:23mm.

Thanks again Paul

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 13:32 #79 

raistlin
OK Richard, I'll see what I can find. Push comes to shove, it'll mean a trip to Maplins at worst :lol: Nothing to worry about.
Paul

Posted 14 Jun 2012, 13:48 #80