Auto transmission mounting by raistlin (Page 1 of 3)

raistlin
Hi all,

Apparently, there is a mounting which can be changed to give a smoother gear change with the auto transmission.

Does anybody know anything about it please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 08:30 #1 

MN190
It could be the lower engine mount that is being referred to

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 08:54 #2 

Duncan
Apart from the lower engine mount mentioned above (sometimes called the teardrop) it's a new one on me.

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 12:51 #3 

raistlin
Yes, I've checked and it is the lower engine mount chaps. Is it easy to replace? Nano-meet job perhaps?

Where's the best place to get them please? Any conclusive tests to confirm suspicions?
Paul

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 13:59 #4 

takestock
Sit in the car with the bonnet open, with engine running and foot on the brake, select drive and watch engine movement. Select reverse and again watch engine movement, select drive again. Repeat process so you get a good idea. The more movement you have the more wear you have on the mount ;)

Nano? Yup. up on the ramps, undertray off and there it is, two bolts ;) Only done the KV6 petrol but hopefully very similar
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 14:18 #5 

raistlin
Thanks Dave :) Where to get them anybody?
Paul

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 15:04 #6 

MN190
Powerflex large lower engine mount bush, red for diesels and yellow for petrols

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 15:39 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
raistlin
Thanks chaps :)

I'm surprised VeeKay's has worn out. She's only done 125 000 miles
Paul

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 15:53 #9 

Duncan
How have people found the powerflex bushes? They don't have the void like the OE bushes, but then I guess the material is more compliant.

One of the engine / gearbox combinations is a little trickier with one fixing hard to get at, though no idea which.

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 15:54 #10 

takestock
raistlin wrote:Thanks chaps :)

I'm surprised VeeKay's has worn out. She's only done 125 000 miles

Boy Racer...........:D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 16:06 #11 

raistlin
That's one ordered from fleabay at a very reasonable £23.94 including delivery :)

Would anybody be able to assist fitting it at the nano-meet please?
Paul

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 16:26 #12 

MN190
I have a spare mounting if you need it just needs a new large bush fitting. As long as you can let me have your old one back in return.

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 16:55 #13 

raistlin
MN190 wrote:I have a spare mounting if you need it just needs a new large bush fitting. As long as you can let me have your old one back in return.

Ooops. Does it need another mounting Mark? I don't know much about mechanical things :(
Paul

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 17:07 #14 

MN190
Its the same mounting and has two bushes a small one and a large one. Its the large one that wears on all models and needs changing. It's the strength/flexibility of these that are different between the different models. Normally you have to remove your mounting replace the large bush and refit it.I think there is a how to on here. If you have a spare mounting you can replace the bush first and then it's a straight forward remove old mounting and replace with the one with a new bush.

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 19:54 #15 

raistlin
Thanks Mark :)
Paul

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 20:05 #16 

MN190
Duncan wrote:How have people found the powerflex bushes? They don't have the void like the OE bushes, but then I guess the material is more compliant.

One of the engine / gearbox combinations is a little trickier with one fixing hard to get at, though no idea which.

Its the the V6 as the exhaust downpipe is in the way especially on the 190.
A large bar or similar can be used to encourage the engine to move to one side to assist with removal of the bolt
On the diesel its straightforward

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 20:26 #17 

Duncan
Ah, that would make sense. Must have done mine when the exhaust was off, and that's why I didn't remember!

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 09:18 #18 

takestock
raistlin wrote:
Would anybody be able to assist fitting it at the nano-meet please?

Aye, that will be me :) We just need to borrow Artic's ramps. :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 11:42 #19 

raistlin
takestock wrote:Aye, that will be me :) We just need to borrow Artic's ramps. :)

Thanks Dave. I appreciate that mate ;)

Well... Steve (Arctic) just turned up on my doorstep during a cloudburst and, less than an hour later, the job was done :) and some replacement bolts for the undertray... and some replacement viton rings for the coolant reservoir cap.

Cheers Steve :)

By god does it make a difference. Magic carpet is back again. The deterioration was insidious and so I hadn't realised how off-form VeeKay was.
Paul

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 12:21 #20 

Last edited by raistlin on 29 Jul 2012, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.