Auto selector lever by D.R.F.

D.R.F.
I've found that on starting for the first time of the day, the selector lever is quite difficult to move
from Park through Reverse and Neutral to Drive. After experimenting I've found that allowing
the engine to idle for a minute or so before making a selection improves things a lot. I guess
there must be some activity of oil in the box even though a Drive selection has not been made.
Anyone any thoughts?

Posted 29 May 2014, 20:46 #1 

Duncan
Yes, there is oil being pumped around once you start the engine. However that may not be the issue. Do you park on a slop at all?

Posted 29 May 2014, 20:53 #2 

D.R.F.
No. The car is parked on level ground.All aspects of the car's performance, including the automatic transmission are
entirely satisfactory.

Posted 29 May 2014, 21:41 #3 

D.R.F.
Thanks Duncan for info. re. oil circulation in auto box. That's something else I've learned!

Posted 30 May 2014, 10:33 #4 

Duncan
OK, I just know sometimes the car can put pressure on the parking pawl.

For further clarification, the whole box is hydraulically controlled. As soon as the engine is running, the pump is running. It provides pressure to the hydraulic valves and clutches, with the solenoids switching pressure to the various valves, to control the hydraulic clutches and change gear when needed. All of this also, as a by product will get fluid going everywhere. Now I wonder if your box is a little low on fluid? It could also be unrelated to the box itself, as the selector and cable sit above the exhaust. It could be heat from the exhaust freeing something up.

Posted 30 May 2014, 19:05 #5 

D.R.F.
Thanks for further info,much appreciated.I will certainly check tte fluid level - tomorrow or monday and let you know how I
get on. Cheers for now.

Posted 31 May 2014, 09:29 #6 

D.R.F.
Checked the auto box level today--found OK. Many thanks for your advice and comments.As a matter of interest I found that
the level plug was a normal hex head device,not the type that needs an Allen key as Haynes manual suggests.

Posted 01 Jun 2014, 13:21 #7 

Duncan
Yes, there are two versions. I think the newer ones have the standard hex head, my 2004 is like that.

Posted 02 Jun 2014, 18:10 #8 

D.R.F.
Update on auto box selector lever.You were entirely fight Duncan ref problem being possibly related to pressure being on pawl.
Over a few months I've realised that while my parking position is fairly level it is not perfectly level! I've now developed the
technique of allowing the car to "settle" before putting handbrake on, and then electing "park".Now,no problems! It's only taken
me six months! Not entirely true,a large part of the time has been my delay in not posting the update.
So, many thanks again. One cannot rush these things!

Posted 11 Jan 2015, 12:46 #9 

PaulT
Now whilst auto boxes have a park position that locks the transmission a manual box does not. OK you can leave a manual box in gear when parked as a little bit extra protection in case the handbrake does not hold sufficiently. You can therefore leave an autobox in 'N'eutral.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 11 Jan 2015, 13:13 #10