Auto gearbox noise by yl51hfb

yl51hfb
My 99 2.5 v6 auto box has developed a noise. I had the fluid changed for the second time in its life but they only changed half of it and told me to drive about and they will change it again next week.

Now the car has done 90k with full history and before the change it didnt do the noise. However I had the back box changed at the same time due to ruat.

Now the noise is strange, its like a grinding grating noise. It only does it in first from what I can tell. It changes up super smooth and all gears work as they should. I was there when they checked the overfill allen bolt and they left it open till nothing came oit so its not got to much in.

What could it be?, should I be worrid as it drives ok?.

I tested it on the drive with my foot on the brakes and in D it makes the noise upto 2,000 rpm. It does not make it in N or reverse. The garage said not to worry about it as it drives ok but im worrid as it didnt used to do it.

Any ideas gang?

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 16:51 #1 

PaulT
So are they changing the 'other half'?

The first cahnge means you now have a 50 / 50 old / new.

Changing another half will make it 25 / 75 old / new.

The only way to get all new is to change the whole lot which means that you have paid for a half that will be wasted.

If there is now a noise then something is not right.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 16:55 #2 

yl51hfb
Yeah they said drive round abit to mix it and then they will change it again. I also got the fluid from Rimmers so its deffo got the right fluid in.

I must admit apart from the noise it does go better and shifts far.better. I know my inlet manifold is broken due to the rattle but its the forth one on so resent paying out for another due to a cheap setup and my exhaust down pipes have the KV6 rattle also as not had chance to use a clamp on them but could it just be I think its from the gearbox. Even though im pretty sure it is.

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 17:04 #3 

Duncan
Did they do anything to the brakes? Could be a disc rubbing on the backplate.

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 20:37 #4 

yl51hfb
How would I be able to check that. Would it be a wheel off job.

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 20:59 #5 

Duncan
Yes. The backplate is behind the disc. If you jack the car up and take the wheel off, you can see the backplate, a thin steel plate, behind the brake disc. Check all round to see it is clear of the disc. They are easy to bend and end up with them touching the disc.

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 21:11 #6 

yl51hfb
Could the exhaust be hitting something as it didnt do it till the new back box and fluid was changed.

Suppose im gonna have to get under her in the morning.

Posted 16 Mar 2012, 23:26 #7 

yl51hfb
Couldnt settle with the cause of this noise, so armed with my torch went under the car and guess what.

The pipe out of the back of the rear box is resting on what looks to be the anti roll bar. Thats got to be the cause of my noise surley. Will have to have a look in the light and see if the garage can take a look at adjusting it.

On a more closer look it also seems to touch the rear bumper aswell.

Posted 17 Mar 2012, 01:02 #8 

PaulT
Sounds like a garage to avoid
Paul

Posted 17 Mar 2012, 06:32 #9 

yl51hfb
Think it might be down to two other factors.

1-The back box is a cheap pattern Klarus box and dont.fit the hole very well.

2-The exhaust rubber mounts are more plastic then rubber so have very little give in them.

But I shall phone and ask them and see what they say. Im preying its the cause of my noise.

Posted 17 Mar 2012, 08:49 #10 

Duncan
Kind of makes sense no I re-read your original post. I missed that it did it while standing still.

With it in D, the engine will twist, in P or N it won't so it could easily be the exhaust.

Posted 17 Mar 2012, 09:45 #11 

yl51hfb
Yeah got to be, however garage wont do anything and there an X-Part agent loval to me.

They said all Klarus pattern boxs are like that.

So how hard will it be to adjust it myself, handy enough with the spanners or is it harder then that?

Posted 17 Mar 2012, 20:53 #12 

PaulT
If they do that then they are not of merchantable quality and therefore the garage should do something about it - talk to Trading Standards on Monday.

From changing oil in two sessions to this they sound absolute cowboys.
Paul

Posted 17 Mar 2012, 21:07 #13 

yl51hfb
Got it sorted at an exhaust center, only cost £10. They had not cut enough of the factory center bit so it was all down to the back box hitting the anti roll bar.

So glad it was nothing expensive.

Posted 18 Mar 2012, 15:10 #14 

Duncan
Hope you will be sending the bill to the place that did the work first.

Posted 18 Mar 2012, 15:22 #15 

PaulT
yl51hfb wrote:Got it sorted at an exhaust center, only cost £10. They had not cut enough of the factory center bit so it was all down to the back box hitting the anti roll bar.

So glad it was nothing expensive.

Sorry to say this but as per Duncans post - give them the bill.

By not making them ort it and going somewhere else you have allowed them to get away with doing sub-standard work which is bad or everyone.
Paul

Posted 18 Mar 2012, 17:23 #16