Attention Mac users by Mick (Page 1 of 2)

Mick
(Site Admin)
If you have installed Yesterdays Mac OSX 10.7.3 updater using "Software Update" and are experiencing any problems.
The solution is to download the Combo 10.7.3 updater directly from Apple and install over the top of your existing installation.
Direct download :- http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484
In most cases you will not experience any anomalies when using "Software Update" for this system update, but just in case. ;)

Details on Macrumours :- http://www.macrumors.com 5th article in the list.

Posted 03 Feb 2012, 12:21 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Tips and tricks to help make your Mac OS Lion experience more productive or at least more fun.

http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/utilit ... shortcuts/

Posted 03 Feb 2012, 12:23 #2 

Jürgen
No problems so far. But it's good to know, just in case ...

Mick wrote:Tips and tricks to help make your Mac OS Lion experience more productive or at least more fun.

http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/utilit ... shortcuts/

Posted 03 Feb 2012, 14:58 #3 

SpongeBob
I'll find out in a bit if the issue affects me or not... :-? Not yet upgraded but probably will be doing so sometime this evening :)

Posted 03 Feb 2012, 19:34 #4 

Gate Keeper
I have not upgraded to Lion as I am still with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 Are people happy with the Lion?
If I did upgrade, will all of my photos, videos and documents remain on board?

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 05:38 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Morning Phil, after the minor glitch some users experienced last February when doing 10.7.2 update to 10.7.3 there have not been any problems reported. Lion has been a dream to use and I personally appreciate all the changes Apple have made to the system. You definitely won't lose anything and your general user experience will be enhanced. The only thing that annoyed me as an Apple engineer/geek was them hiding the user "Library" as access is required for some repairs. I use a utility to make hidden files visible, rather than having to use "Terminal and being familiar with Unix. This should not be something you need.

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 09:55 #6 

SpongeBob
Also worth bearing in mind that Mountain Lion is due to be released sometime this month. It's supposed to be an improvement over Lion in terms of features etc but as it's not yet been publicly available as of writing this then I can't comment on how it compares. Should be a worthwhile upgrade though so might be worth holding off purchasing Lion until Mountain Lion is available.

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 11:36 #7 

Chartermark
I'm still on 10.5.8, on an Airbook, mainly because my 'infoxhead' database (redundant but great software, with extensive content) won't open I fear on Lion. I guess it's possible to export it in Excel, but the formatting into a new utility would be a pain! I did think of paying a programmer to write a macro facility to xsfer it, but the dread of the upheaval has so far extended my inertia to comply! I think I'll have to change soon to a desktop IMac simply because of the eye strain now with a 13" screen, so I'll be forced to the consequences. I've had Macs since the iie in 1982, but the software updates nowadays are no longer an innovation to me just a nuisance.

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 12:03 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I agree Martin that updating regularly is not for everyone. If you have specific legacy apps requiring Rossetta then you are stuck at max 10.6 not any kind of a problem for most users as much of the updated systems is just toys.
Anyway you can keep your AirBook on that system level just to support Rosetta and Infoxhead and use a desktop running the latest system for your pleasure.
I have a Shaving Mirror G4 on 10.6 for running Legacy Illustrator, Photoshop etc. But having said that and using GIMP, Neo Office, Pages (for old Appleworks docs) I only occasionally fire up the G4 for Illustrator, which i cannot do without, unless and until a suitable vector drawing programme comes out of the Open Source community.
If you need a bigger screen to view Infoxhead, I have several G3 iMacs in storage with 10.6 installed, you are welcome to one.

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 12:32 #9 

Chartermark
Mick, thanks so much, I hadn't thought of having two systems - what an idiot? A bit like OSX & OS9, was it called 'classic', it actually worked very well I seem to remember. Perhaps I can visit to suit you after the next few weeks - lunch on me!

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 12:55 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Be a pleasure Martin, any time.

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 13:18 #11 

Gate Keeper
I tried to download Lion and ended up downloading Mountain Lion which is downloading as I write on this phone. A large file at 3.8 Gb a similar cost of about £20. I read mixed reviews on the Mac users site ranging from 1 - 5 stars. Some of those guys are up 30,000 - 50,000 plus posts. Must have got the geek bug :) Thanks Mick for getting back to me and for the thoughts fellow members. Much appreciated. One poster said he was tipped to run a dsk check before attempting the download which then went ahead without any hiccups. I started at 5 pm and it's only 3/4 done .....

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 17:14 #12 

Gate Keeper
It's 6:45pm and just starting the installation procedure. About 1 3/4 hrs to do the download via Ethernet.

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 17:50 #13 

Mick
(Site Admin)
It's only time and you don't have to do anything but pay your twenty and press a button. :D Gone are the days of paying the thick end of a eighty squids for a fancy box with a DVD installer in it, thankfully. :)

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 19:04 #14 

Gate Keeper
It turns out I installed Lion without the mountain and just finished catching up with updating the apps and hardware. I only started using macs about 2 years ago and still have a lot to learn. You were right about how everything was preserved :)

Posted 23 Jul 2012, 23:12 #15 

Gate Keeper
I see that mountain lion was released today for not alot of money. I will wait to see how it develops before deciding if I am to download it or not. If you decide to use it Mick, perhaps you can give us some feedback on it at a later date. Cheers :)

Posted 25 Jul 2012, 18:38 #16 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Wise move, best not to jump in straight away, I'll be keeping a watch on the Mac forums for any problems that need sorting before I spend money on it, If at all. Although this could be seen as an incremental upgrade rather than any major re-writing of the system, so would be a matter of whether you want to use any of the new IOS tricks they have added.

Posted 25 Jul 2012, 19:00 #17 

Gate Keeper
One problem I have not yet licked is the 'save file version' which replaced 'save as' in preview. I read on one of the mac forums that it is deemed as progress and users have to just knuckle down and get on with it.

This is easier said than done. I used to be able to reduce jpg photos to a small size for the forums using the 'save as' facility and since it has gone, I can no longer publish.

Any ideas how I can get round the problem? I have been scouring different mac editing compatible programs both free and paid but do not want to waste my money or time downloading something which will not do the job.

Posted 10 Aug 2012, 20:40 #18 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Using Preview.
The save a version option allows reverting to the original "Revert Document" from the File menu. Which I can see has it's uses. However, simply "Adjust Size" from the Tools menu.

Screen Shot 2012-08-10 at 21.58.41.jpg

Then "Export" from the File menu.

Screen Shot 2012-08-10 at 21.45.57.jpg

If you want an image manipulation programme, every bit as powerful as Photoshop, GIMP (Graphic Image Manipulation Programme) is Open Source.
http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html
You'll need X11 which if not already installed is available from your system installer CD in "Optional Installs"

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 10 Aug 2012, 20:57 #19 

Gate Keeper
Thanks Mick. I will give it a try.

Posted 10 Aug 2012, 21:13 #20