Any electricians or wiring buffs present? by Mad-Monkey

Mad-Monkey
Can you get connectors that screw into a material that has been tapped, which then provide a wire connection with grub screw?

I have some copper bar which is about 100mm in length, and I'd like to attach some HV cable to it. I've seen cable clamps that clamp the bar and cable, but I'd like something more pleasing on the eye. I wondered if anything like I described (poorly) above exists?

I suppose I could cross drill and tap the one side insert a grub screw to make a connector block type item. Not sure how well my skills are at doing that and would prefer something as above.

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 13:51 #1 

Borg Warner
Monk

For goodness sake tell me you are not talking about HV as in 6.6kV or 11kV used in ones local distribution network?????

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 15:28 #2 

Mad-Monkey
It's HV but not mains, don't panic, all in hand! Just looking for something pleasing on the eye for a project

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 16:15 #3 

raistlin
Give us a clue as to Voltage and current please David
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 16:41 #4 

Mad-Monkey
10kV at 60-100mA cheers Paul.

I've drawn out a simple design that would work if I can find someone with a lathe, which apparently my cousin does, but I don't see him very often if at all. Off the shelf would be better.

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 16:49 #5 

raistlin
I know what you're up to :lol: Variac as well wasn't it?

I'll investigate at work tomorrow. Can't promise anything though.
Paul

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 16:57 #6 

Mad-Monkey
Cheers Paul, I have the bulk of it all designed, calculated and parts started. However, even on stuff like this my OCD goes a bit OTT? I debated a bus bar system but taking it apart to store away and then set back up would be a killer!

Yes please on the variac. The input/output on that would be 13amp IIRC. Notes are all at home on the exact details.

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 17:16 #7 

Bernard
I have a lathe David. If you get stuck you can send me the drawing.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 18:12 #8 

takestock
:hail: David, don't you ever stop :) :hail:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 18:47 #9 

Duncan
10kV. Ouch!

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 18:49 #10 

Mad-Monkey
Bernard wrote:I have a lathe David. If you get stuck you can send me the drawing.

Cheers Bernard! :) I PM'd Ben earlier as well as he works with metal and has access to a lathe at work. Looks like a nice custom made setup might be in the throws if I can draw it well enough for you to understand :)

takestock wrote::hail: David, don't you ever stop :) :hail:

Not really :)

Duncan wrote:10kV. Ouch!

Ouch indeed, but quite pretty! :)

Posted 30 Jul 2012, 20:47 #11 

ceedy
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 31 Jul 2012, 14:37 #12 

raistlin
Sorry David,

All the bits and pieces have been "tidied up" so no gizzits
Paul

Posted 31 Jul 2012, 14:58 #13 

Mad-Monkey
Thanks for looking Paul, might just go with the Cable clamps at the moment, and avoid the lathe.

Chris those won't work as I'm trying to attach wire to copper rod 20mm in diameter.

Posted 31 Jul 2012, 15:16 #14