Animals and thugs . . . by Tourerfogey

Tourerfogey
. . . but supposedly university material.

God help us.

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 08:48 #1 

Ragman
Send the bill for the policing the event to the National Union of Students - after all did they not organise the protest

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 11:57 #2 

Cowley_MOA
If anyone has read the Telegraphs report on the 'protests' then I am sure you will feel as disgusted as I do at what was done to Churchill's statue. As far as I'm concerned these people are no longer protesting against a cause, rather bringing destruction and violence onto the streets. In this way I think the Polices response should be adjusted accordingly.
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 12:34 #3 

Bermudan 75
Animals would not act in such a manner, the people who carried out the violence and criminal damage were members of the human race.

Their actions, including the disrespect to Churchill's statue and the Cenotaph, were an insult to all those honest and law abiding members of the public, exemplified by the people of Wooten Bassett who honour service personnel who have been killed in action as their corteges pass through their town.

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 12:49 #4 

Tourerfogey
Any of these animals / thugs who are already at University should be expelled. Those that are not yet but hope to be university students in the future should be banned from becoming so.

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 13:07 #5 

raistlin
Intel suggests that the violence was the work of anarchist groups rather than genuine students.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 13:26 #6 

Zeb
Anyone serious about protesting against the trebling of University fees incurring in effect a debt for life (barring one or two professions) would be very stupid to have been involved in activities that will alienate the general public. As such, one would hope that they will be prosecuted such as the young man arrested for throwing the fire extinguisher off the top of the building at a previous demo. These idiots do nothing to help the cause of students and are a danger and embarrassment to all.

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 14:25 #7 

JohnDotCom
More worrying is the detailed ways to upset a Police horse to loose its rider (as happened) shown on Internet (now removed but I'm sure will be back) the fact to aim flares at Police reflective jackets as these are not flame retardant and meant many officers being told to remove them as they came under attack from flares. (Stupidity on the Police side as that has been known for years in the forces).
Also makes the Police stand out as a easy target for the violent brigade, who many had Green helmets that protected them from the police including having very heavily padded clothing,
a sign of premeditation.

The fact that the Students and Teachers who were on this demonstration have had their rally hijacked is nothing new,
remember the Poll Tax riots?
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 14:52 #8 

Tourerfogey
raistlin wrote:Intel suggests that the violence was the work of anarchist groups rather than genuine students.

I've no doubt that to some extent that is true but equally I have little doubt that many of the thugs
/ animals involved were students - just like the fire extinguisher throwing thug referred to by Zeb in his post above.

On a different tack, I have a nephew shortly due to finish his 3 year University course. His academic 'year' runs from mid Oct to mid Dec then mid Jan to end of May, in the middle of which they have their 2 week (?) Easter break. Lectures take up around 8 - 10 hours a week. If these students and lecturers worked a full 47 week year (based on 52 weeks less 5 weeks holiday like many employees in the real world have to) these 3 year courses could be condensed into 18 months, probably even a year at a considerable financial saving.

I know someone else who has just started a 3 year University course in 'Event Management' - what the hell is all that about?? - get out there in the real world and work for a so-called 'Event Management' company and learn that way

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 15:03 #9 

Ragman
Tourerfogey wrote:get out there in the real world and work for a so-called 'Event Management' company and learn that way

Agree but sadly event management company recruitment policies wil only allow those with degrees in event management to apply for vacancies

Posted 10 Dec 2010, 22:40 #10 

Bermudan 75
Perhaps it was an Event Management Company that organised the demo?

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 11:00 #11 

Zeb
What is this 'real world' Basil keeps referring to? Sounds a bit scary.... :? :gmc:

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 21:03 #12 

Bermudan 75
Zeb wrote:What is this 'real world' Basil keeps referring to? Sounds a bit scary.... :? :gmc:

Dunno about scary, might be Fawlty though, :lol:

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 21:26 #13 

Tourerfogey
Zeb wrote:What is this 'real world' Basil keeps referring to? Sounds a bit scary.... :? :gmc:

Spoken like a true University Graduate ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D

Posted 11 Dec 2010, 22:02 #14