Android 2.2 10.2" Tablet by Zeb

Zeb
Any recommendations / warnings re these?

Posted 05 Jul 2011, 16:00 #1 

Jürgen
Check the reputation of the manufacturer regarding the update history for other Android devices.

Google will release new versions with security fixes on a regular basis. But it can take a long time before some OEM manufacturers adapt these versions for their hardware. And some even don't bother at all.

Posted 05 Jul 2011, 19:47 #2 

Zeb
Jürgen wrote:Check the reputation of the manufacturer regarding the update history for other Android devices.

Google will release new versions with security fixes on a regular basis. But it can take a long time before some OEM manufacturers adapt these versions for their hardware. And some even don't bother at all.

Thanks for that....I have also discovered the dubious practice of cloning.... :( I wouldn't mind if the clones were cheaper but they aren't, they are more expensive!!!

Posted 06 Jul 2011, 07:12 #3 

Dallas
Zeb! Be careful when looking at the clones, there are good quality clones and then a clone of a clone (thats where the quality will suffer).

There are many many un-branned makes and models of these tablets all made cheaply, some models now support flash and many do not. You will find many ebay sellers adverting these tablets as the new 2.2 OS system but sadly you will end up just with a 1.6 OS tablet thats been hacked to run 2.2 (the device then suffers many software problems in this case).

I currently run 1.6 OS which is 2.1.2-205 version, I've upgraded this version already and it works a treat. The 7" tablet thats 1.6 costs only £40 to £80 depending on where you buy, if you find a good honest supplier you can buy several and go for the upgrade and test different versions, its all good fun along with the headaches when the thing dies due to software failure (I've managed to bring 2 back to life with the correct software upgrade....... :-D

Good luck in you shopping experience. :thumbsup:

Posted 07 Jul 2011, 18:46 #4 

Zeb
Thanks Dallas...such joy to look forward to! What makes it worse is that it is not for me but my son....I will just get all the headaches but none of the fun! I have found and bought and today received a Flytouch 3 - I assume it to be a clone but it has 2.2, runs youtube, videos, music and Google streetview and it has GPS....seems well made..time will tell!

Posted 07 Jul 2011, 19:05 #5 

Dallas
Zeb! your son has a SuperPad :-D the Flytouch 3 is a good choice as it has a 1 GHz CPU, it can run Facebook, Skype and YouTube etc with no problem (the earlier ones suffer running the most simplest of tasks).

GPS! thats just showing off........ :-D :lol: :thumbsup:

Posted 07 Jul 2011, 19:19 #6 

Zeb
It even has force feedback...an accelerometer (whatever that is) and a gyro.....oh and it runs in Hi Def, has 512mb Ram and, after a day playing with it...I am rather impressed! Especially given it was only slightly more than a Kindle!

Posted 07 Jul 2011, 22:00 #7 

Jürgen
BTW in the US a wireless carrier has begun to deliver Android updates bypassing the OEM of the phone, who doesn't care about the customers (http://h-online.com/-1275306).

Posted 07 Jul 2011, 22:11 #8