ale? by RRobson

• Related topics: (no related topics)

RRobson
hmmm, surprised there isnt a sub forum devoted to this but anyway :D

if i were to go to the supermarket, and buy a nice, fine ale, what would you recommend?
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:20 #1 

JohnDotCom
A loaded question....bottled you are spoilt for choice and some of the draughts in a can aren't to bad either.

Drinking them of course is much more fun than writing about them. :cheers:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:25 #2 

takestock
Oh I know it's commom but magners and ice hits the spot at the moment or southern comfort or any single malt or a nice Cabernet Sauvignon.
Used to be very partial to a pint of caffreys

Good god sound like a right alcohlic.....................
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:26 #3 

RRobson
JohnDotCom wrote:Drinking them of course is much more fun than writing about them. :cheers:

of course :) just looking for opinions really, as you say theres a large selection

used to be a big cider drinker, but have since moved on. not long since i was into aisian beers, but ive started drinking ale now. a pint of carling just isnt worth the time :roll:

Injector removal tool
Vis tester

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:33 #4 

raistlin
There are so many but Fuller's ESB might be a good starting point :)

Get a few for me while your there please ;)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:34 #5 

takestock
raistlin wrote:There are so many but Fuller's ESB might be a good starting point :)

Rumour has it you like the odd bishops finger or two............ :scared:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:37 #6 

raistlin
takestock wrote:
raistlin wrote:There are so many but Fuller's ESB might be a good starting point :)

Rumour has it you like the odd bishops finger or two............ :scared:

Absolutely Dave, but not, in my view, an ale to start off with. However, if you're offering, especially as I now have my CAMRA beard...to go with my CAMRA beer-belly :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:39 #7 

Last edited by raistlin on 03 Mar 2011, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
(Site Admin)
Must be the effluence of incohol. :)

I used to be partial to a drop of Theakstons Old Peculier, they do some other nice tasting ales as well, XB is a bit lighter but not much.

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:40 #8 

takestock
Ooo ek the forum police is ere

Good constanoon afterble :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:42 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Nuthin to see ere, move along.

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:46 #10 

Duncan
Now, depends where we are starting from.

My personal favourite is Timothy Taylors Landlord. Excellent bottled, and even better on the rare ocassion I find it draught.

Theakstons OP is nice but quite heavy. If the OP (OMG we are getting double meanings of TLAs here) is new they might not get on with it.

So do you know what you like already? Hoppy? Fruity? Dark and spicy? Are there any beers that you already like?

I'm a hop preferrer myself, so most IPAs suit me. Fursty Ferret is good, and Badger Golden Glory is tasty and unusual. Had a nice Blueberry bitter last night. That said, I do like a selection of styles, and that includes continental beers!

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:57 #11 

Duncan
raistlin wrote: especially as I now have my CAMRA beard...to go with my CAMRA beer-belly :lol:

Someone say beard and beer belly?:cheers: :cheers:

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 20:59 #12 

Duncan
takestock wrote:Oh I know it's commom but magners and ice hits the spot at the moment or southern comfort or any single malt or a nice Cabernet Sauvignon.
Used to be very partial to a pint of caffreys

Good god sound like a right alcohlic.....................

More like a shandy pants..... ;)

You know I don't mean it! Magners and ice is good. Partial to a nice malt, too.

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 21:02 #13 

RRobson
yes, quite partial to the more hoppy flavours, but fruity undertones are never a bad think, and always give a bit of variety. actually finishing off a bottle of fursty ferret as im typing... hic... :cheers: but i find it a very sweet drink, something to settle down with. always enjoyed a bottle of speckled hen too, and wells do some tasty varieties.

Injector removal tool
Vis tester

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 21:08 #14 

Duncan
RRobson wrote:yes, quite partial to the more hoppy flavours, but fruity undertones are never a bad think, and always give a bit of variety. actually finishing off a bottle of fursty ferret as im typing... hic... :cheers: but i find it a very sweet drink, something to settle down with. always enjoyed a bottle of speckled hen too, and wells do some tasty varieties.

OK, deffo worth trying Badger Golden Glory as it is hoppy with something else fruity, and I would think you would be a fan of Landlord, too, just plain hops but loads of them. I agree Fursty can be a bit sweet as can a few others (tangelfoot for example), so maybe Ruddles county would be better, though it can be a bit too bitter if the mood is wrong.

To try something different for the summer, Crabbies Ginger Beer is great, after a hard day in the garden or on the 75. Nice as a thirst quencher before settling down with something else. Cains formiddable is in a similar league, though I can't get it these days. Comes in 'proper' 1 litre cans too.

Dave, now who sound like an alchofrolic?

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 21:21 #15 

RRobson
will look out for them next time im in the supermarket
big fan of crabbies in a cold glass with plenty of ice, really refreshing on a summers day like you say. expecially now as theres a deal on in one of them :mrgreen:

Injector removal tool
Vis tester

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 21:35 #16 

Duncan
RRobson wrote:. expecially now as theres a deal on in one of them :mrgreen:

Where, where?

Posted 03 Mar 2011, 21:47 #17 

RRobson
i think its 3 bottles for £4.50 in morrisons, but i cant remember exactly