Airbag ECU. Any thoughts on a problem? by Duncan

Duncan
Not done much myself with airbag ECUs other than read faults with a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System), or cleaning connectors under the seats.

I've heard of this one before, but never seen it, so not sure where to go.

A member popped round this evening as he'd been unable to attend the Nano, and is quite close. He has an airbag lamp on the dash. One seat had been hard wired, the other he gave the connectors a quick disconnect / reconnect as suggested. This hadn't worked, so the idea was a T4 to find where the problem was.

Problem is, the T4 couldn't talk to the airbag. Checked the fuse and its intact, power both sides. The diagnostic connection in the car is OK, autobox and engine (V6)were both 'contactable' and share the same diagnostic line.

Reportedly, the car had been stood before the sale, and the light had been out before. Indeed it has a recent MOT. However the battery went flat, and when recharged before sale, the light was on.

It sounds unfortunately like the airbag ECU (Engine Control Unit) might be the problem, I can't think what else. Yes it could be the power or ground connections at the airbag ECU, but why would the battery going flat cause that?

So any suggestions to help this chap? Anyone replaced an airbag ECU with a used one? I'm hoping David will see this and have some comments.

Posted 13 May 2013, 19:12 #1 

Mad-Monkey
A used airbag ecu can be used, however check with CarlPenn as he got a new one at a good price and is waiting for me to fit it (weather at the nano stopped that :( ). I think you'd be hard pushed to find a used one for the price Carl got his for if the seller still has some.

The T4 will recode the used ecu but I have read posts around saying you need a used airbag ecu with the same number of airbags as you can't alter them. However I've not checked this as gospel as I read it on the net :). The few used ones I've done have already been in and solved the persons "light on" problem but the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) mismatch error occurs. The T4 rectifies that problem though.

Posted 13 May 2013, 20:53 #2 

Mad-Monkey
A quick mooch suggests that the same part number and a T4 will see you fine!

Posted 13 May 2013, 21:00 #3 

Duncan
Is the one that Carl has this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261160877204; ... 26_rdc%3D1

From the part number that seems to be for later cars from 2003. This car is earlier. The photo on Rimmers shows an orange connector and I'm sure the earlier ones were yellow.

From what I can see, the part numbers are the same for all four airbag numbers: saloon and tourer, with and without curtain. Only the year selects the two available part numbers.

Posted 14 May 2013, 16:38 #4 

carlpenn
Duncan wrote:Is the one that Carl has this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261160877204; ... 26_rdc%3D1

From the part number that seems to be for later cars from 2003. This car is earlier. The photo on Rimmers shows an orange connector and I'm sure the earlier ones were yellow.

From what I can see, the part numbers are the same for all four airbag numbers: saloon and tourer, with and without curtain. Only the year selects the two available part numbers.

hi Duncan - I bought that one yes :)

There are two units though, one early model on later so you must make sure you get the right unit :D

Regards

Carl.

EDIT: This is 1999 - 2003 (Part YWC 107090) http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-YWJ101590

£180 from Rimmers !!!!
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 14 May 2013, 16:55 #5 

Last edited by carlpenn on 14 May 2013, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

Mad-Monkey
Not sure, not seen it but he matched the part number of his. If he doesnt see this maybe PM him?

Posted 14 May 2013, 16:56 #6 

carlpenn
Monk wrote:Not sure, not seen it but he matched the part number of his. If he doesnt see this maybe PM him?

BOO !!!
Upgrades:

Posted 14 May 2013, 17:02 #7 

Mad-Monkey
Haha sneaking around I see!! :)

Posted 15 May 2013, 12:15 #8 

carlpenn
Yep - I was looking for Questions I could answer as there aren't that many lol..........

You just posted after I posted mine :p
Upgrades:

Posted 15 May 2013, 16:43 #9 

Suffolk Man
over rotated ring on the steering columm snapping the wires?does the horn work?

Posted 19 May 2013, 18:43 #10 

Duncan
The guy bought a new ECU, and the problem is solved now. If it had been the steering column, I'd still have been able to communicate using T4.

Posted 19 May 2013, 21:53 #11