abs cuts in at less than 30 mph by Mick_Gannon

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Mick_Gannon
My abs cuts in when I gently press the brake pedal at speeds 10-30 mph any ideas where to find fault?

Mick

Posted 26 May 2016, 10:43 #1 

Bermudan 75
This sounds like the problem caused by the rear offside wheel bearing. Arctic (Steve)has done some work on this and I think he may have traced it to corrosion on the brake back plate.

Posted 26 May 2016, 19:21 #2 

Mick_Gannon
Tried to search the forum but no joy, typed in brake back plates, then under artic then both, so can someone give me a link to his posts on this fault.

Mick

Posted 27 May 2016, 05:07 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Mick.
It will most likely be rear off side wheel bearing or corrosion from the back plate onto the sensor, first job is to make sure which one it is T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) the best way to trace the fault, after that it gets complicated.

I will be doing a post over the holiday if I have time, as your abs light come on the dash yet ?
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 29 May 2016, 15:06 #4 

Mick_Gannon
Artic
the ABS (Antilock Braking System) light in the past has come off and on several times then worked correctly, at present the light is out with the fault, I have bought new back plates and hubs for both sides, I have bearing pullers to remove the inner race should it not release, I may have to get new ABS sensors if the fault persists, changing the parts to me is not a big deal in that changing them can only do good, however I do not know of any body in the south(Saffron Walden) that has a T4 setup to test the car at present.
I hope you do get time to do the posting as I am in the dark as to sorting the fault.

Mick

Posted 30 May 2016, 10:57 #5 

Mick_Gannon
All fitted, bearings back plates, back plates rotted, bearings worn, ABS sensors show signs of wear marks on the face on the sesors both sides, all ABS faults gone.

Posted 06 Jul 2017, 05:07 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Mick.
First sorry I never got round to doing a write up, I have since had to remove a sensor from a nano members front OS as his speed MPH was not working, I had to drill out the sensor if this as to be done it must be carefully approached as to not damage the hub ring, I do have photo of both the rear and front ABS I did but I need to find time to add it to the forum.

Anyways nice to hear you got it sorted, there is always a T4 at the nano meets should any member like to attend one all are welcome.

If all is ok and the ABS is as it should be I would refrain from changing the sensors at the moment, case of if it is not broken do not fix, once again if the sensor did not just pull out with the rear your would have to remove the hub and tap it out, then clean inside the sensor hole so the other new sensor fitted properly.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 06 Jul 2017, 09:02 #7