A new member soon. by kevin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

kevin
Went out today to find a good friend a new car today,
he was looking for a mercedes diesel auto est after driving 40 miles to see one.
we did not take long to turn it down without a test drive. got home. looked on the inter net for any other car near to us, knowing all the jokes he made at my expense about Rover cars, I look for a 75 diesel auto tourer not thinking I would find one in the right price range but fould this. :D

apart from the white smoke that we knew about fron the listing all the rest being great, he said I cant let it go so picks it up Wednesday.

What do you think the reson for the white smoke is.

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 16:49 #1 

Last edited by kevin on 08 Jul 2010, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDotCom
White smoke is normally ‘steam’ which means water is vapourising! If it is white ‘smoke’ then it could be as a result of low engine temperature. White Smoke will smell of unburned diesel - White ‘Steam’ will not!.

White smoke is generally caused by water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. The head gaskets that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.
If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake.

I must say that the BMW power-plants are normally very good and are not known for blown head gaskets.
Don't panic yet as I'm sure someone with a simpler answer will be along shortly.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 18:24 #2 

Bernard
kevin wrote:, knowing all the jokes he made at my expense about Rover cars,

It can't be Rik, can it? Don't tell me you have another friend who rags you about Rovers. :shock:

My colleague has seen a few BMW diesel headgaskets fail, it's not unkown.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 19:19 #3 

JohnDotCom
Thanks for that clarification Bernard.
Never thought they got hot enough. :gmc:
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 21:31 #4 

kevin
Bernard wrote:
kevin wrote:, knowing all the jokes he made at my expense about Rover cars,

It can't be Rik, can it? Don't tell me you have another friend who rags you about Rovers. :shock:

My colleague has seen a few BMW diesel headgaskets fail, it's not unkown.

no mate its not rick, you should know he would never drive a rover. :roll:
most of my friends cant understand why I like rover 75 so much.
this one has aways trid geting me to buy a diesel and I wont dont know enough about them. now its time to lean.
I look as a diesel engine with :roll: :shock: :?

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 21:50 #5 

JohnDotCom
The Nano meet is a good place to start with plenty of all types of engine covered.
You meet friends and can talk all you want about the cars and even get things sorted if pre booked.
Be nice to see you there.

Details in Events and Meets section.
John

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 21:56 #6 

kevin
JohnDotCom wrote:
If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake.

Don't panic yet as I'm sure someone with a simpler answer will be along shortly.

thanks john,
there was no sign of oil in the water, milkshake under the oil filler cap or water on the dipstick

if we can fits it for under £500 we will be happy with the price paid so not panicing yet.

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 21:58 #7 

JohnDotCom
There is all sorts of things on the diesel that cause problems from simple EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) or PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) blocked up wards.
A T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session may also help list any faults present.
John

Posted 06 Jul 2010, 22:10 #8 

Bernard
JohnDotCom wrote:Thanks for that clarification Bernard.

It has only been when fitted in BMW cars though. Idon't know much about diesels really. It's just that I see a lot going through my colleagues workshop.
The turbo always appears fragile to me and failure seems to result in a lot of smoke. Think I would put my money on that, but not much!

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 08:17 #9 

kevin
Bernard wrote:
JohnDotCom wrote:Thanks for that clarification Bernard.

It has only been when fitted in BMW cars though. Idon't know much about diesels really. It's just that I see a lot going through my colleagues workshop.
The turbo always appears fragile to me and failure seems to result in a lot of smoke. Think I would put my money on that, but not much!

Bernard you win :clap: :clap:
now to find a new turbo. then a job for me and rick for the weekend :roll: will be the blind leading the blind. should be a few :o looks from us. ;)

any one with tip on changing the turbo, let's have them we need all the help we can get.

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 18:11 #10 

Bernard
kevin wrote:
any one with tip on changing the turbo, let's have them we need all the help we can get.

Get someone else to do it. :gmc:
Nasty dirty things diesels are, I don't even like plugging the diagnostics into them, and that's as far as I will go.

Posted 07 Jul 2010, 18:45 #11 

Bernard
Gave you the flippant answer but forgot to say the serious bit.
It appears to be a quite straightforward bolt on job, except there is a bit of a procedure to get oil into the bearings on starting for the first time on the ones that I've seen.

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 07:39 #12 

kevin
Bernard wrote:Gave you the flippant answer but forgot to say the serious bit.
It appears to be a quite straightforward bolt on job, except there is a bit of a procedure to get oil into the bearings on starting for the first time on the ones that I've seen.

thanks but I like your first one better.
Get someone else to do it.
thinking of asking you mate. :lol: :gmc:

been reading up on rover ron site, and going to change pcv fitter and egr vale first and hope. :) We get away with it.

Got lots of time only got work two out of the next 11 nights. :thumbsup:
just a pity they are in the middle of my nights off. :mad1:

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 08:53 #13 

kevin
Fould not to be the Turbo. :D
change
pcv filter
erg vale
oil and filter
diesel filter
aux blets
put all back together only to find the waterpump needed renewing. :mad1:
so off with the blets again :hissyfit: new pump on and now car running great.
Frist time i've worked on a diesel and last I hope.

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 05:34 #14 

kevin
JohnDotCom wrote:There is all sorts of things on the diesel that cause problems from simple EGR or PCV blocked up wards.

blocked that was a understament.
dont think any clean air was getting though. :shock:

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 05:41 #15 

JohnDotCom
The reason the "engines" have a problem when fitted to the BMW cars is that the Turbo used isn't the more reliable one fitted to our cars and less power,
but a variable vane type which is more unreliable and many cases of it blowing and filling engine with oil ultimately in finishing it off,
happens on the 3.0 Litre diesel to.
John

Posted 12 Jul 2010, 12:25 #16