A bad day by Borg Warner

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Borg Warner
Well they say bad things come in threes, well that has certainly been the case for us today.

First off, we awaited the arrival of the gentlemen who was to template the work surfaces for or new kitchen. We are having granite tops and they need to be measured and then made to measure. Problem is the sink does not fit, however we were told this was not a problem. Of course not. Chappie turned up and said he couldn't do anything without the correct sink and our supplier say a new one isn't going to delivered for another 2 weeks. See we'll see him in a fortnight.

San comes back form walking the dog only to say that whilst out Holly picked up a packet of rat poison. Phone call to vet who says bring her round straight away. Fortunately after a check over vet says she will be fine. Thank goodness for that.

Whilst trying to relax latter San says she can smell gas???? I can't smell a thing - no sense of smell. The kitchen fitters had connected the pipe for the new cooker on Tuesday and this necessitated removal of gas meter and the new cooker connection made. Phone call to the emergency NGT line and within an hour gas chappie turned up and diagnosed a leaking joint. We now have the gas disconnected with a danger notice attached. This will be reported to the HSE under RIDDOR. The list of problems grows daily with the kitchen; not least this one - they could have killed us. I shall be speaking to a director of the company which sold us the kitchen tomorrow.

And may God have mercy on his soul.

Gary M.

Posted 27 Mar 2014, 22:44 #1 

PaulT
I hope the chappie who installed the cooker is Gas Safe registered - you cannot be too careful with gas.

In the news recently there have been at least two instances of houses being blown apart because of gas leaks.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 28 Mar 2014, 08:16 #2 

Borg Warner
Well the gas is now reconnected. Previous "engineer" had disturbed an existing joint and because he hadn't tested it left us with the leak. The "Immediate Danger" sign has now been removed also - thank goodness. Kitchen people have telephoned and he's been suspended from working for them; no surprise there. They've said that as it's a RIDDOR incident the HSE will more than likely contact us and pay us a visit.

Compensation is already being talked about, well they have enough to feel guilty about.

Gary M.

Posted 28 Mar 2014, 19:37 #3 

Duncan
It will be interesting to find out whether he was actually properly registered / certified. There are an awful lot of gas and electricity technicians out there with all the paperwork, who do very poor and unsafe work. At the same time perfectly competent people are no longer allowed to do work, because it isn't worth the cost of the courses to get said bits of paper, for the limited work they would do. Not that I'm suggesting any work should be done without proper skills, just that the 'schemes' (Gas safe, Part P) don't appear to work.

Posted 29 Mar 2014, 09:17 #4 

Borg Warner
As a time served sparky I find it unbelievable that I can't put a new socket in my kitchen. I've had to have a Part P electrician wire the extension. I was not impressed with his work.

The guy is registered I believe, but as we've only just got his full name I've yet to check on the register. Life never seemed to be this problematic for my parents.

Gary M.

Posted 29 Mar 2014, 11:04 #5 

Bermudan 75
Part P Regulations say a lay man cannot change a simple light fitting. Then why do B & Q sell consumer units to the general public?

I went on a course to become a Domestic Energy Assessor, as a Surveyor this was an insult to my intelligence. On the same course was an electrician. He came to my house to change some electrics. He removed one wire by pulling on the cable and cutting the wire with a pair of pliers whilst he looked the other way. This man moved a consumer unit without securing the 'hockey sticks' and he is now lecturing electrics at a college....

It seems that the Government has created numerous jobs with idiots running courses for idiots and those previously qualified are not deemed competent.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 29 Mar 2014, 19:42 #6 

Borg Warner
Well the kitchen company's Area Manager phoned today; apologised for everything and actually I can accept that. He's going to arrange a visit in the near future.

He did remind me to make some detailed notes for when the HSE Inspector calls. Doh! The number of times I've had to do that with work related incidents. Bit different this time though.

This was supposed to be the "dream Kitchen" scenario. Instead it's been an absolute nightmare, San's been beside herself with worry and as upset as I ever known. Oh well life could be boring I suppose.

Gary M.

Posted 29 Mar 2014, 20:50 #7 

PaulT
'Dream Kitchen'

Now there was a Monty Python sketch where terrible things were happening to this person. He then woke up and said 'Oh, thankfully it was only a dream' to which a voice boomed out 'no, this is the dream that was the reality'.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 30 Mar 2014, 13:52 #8