ZT Bonnet Latch Seized by GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
OK, I now have the dreaded Stuck Bonnet syndrome.

I've followed the "Secret Solution" to get so far but one of the latches is seized at the latch end. I've tried squeezing some 3in1 into it via a drinking straw to no avail.

Does anyone have a non-destructive answer they can PM me please before we start with the power tools....? :shock:

What is it with these cars and latches, I have two dodgy door latches (too scared to use the child locks) and the boot is flaky too :( and yes I do oil them.

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 15:49 #1 

SpongeBob
Let's hope you find a non-destructive solution. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help :(

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 15:51 #2 

GagHalfrunt
SpongeBob wrote:Let's hope you find a non-destructive solution. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help :(

No worries, I appreciate what you have suggested so far.

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 16:32 #3 

Zeb
If you break anything and need replacement parts give me a shout...

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 20:21 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
You have a PM with some thoughts.

Another:- Have you tried getting someone to bounce the bonnet vigorously while you yank on the offending cable? Extreme leading edge of the bonnet only, you want any dents.

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 21:55 #5 

GagHalfrunt
Mick wrote:You have a PM with some thoughts.

Another:- Have you tried getting someone to bounce the bonnet vigorously while you yank on the offending cable? Extreme leading edge of the bonnet only, you want any dents.

Thanks for the PM.

We've already tried that method but to no avail. The cable is sticking out way too far compared the working cable so there's nothing to pull against.

Zeb wrote:If you break anything and need replacement parts give me a shout

Thanks for the kind offer - as it stands now I will be most certainly be breaking something! :(

Thanks

Dave

Posted 08 Sep 2010, 22:09 #6 

James.uk
Regarding the boot, unscrew the rubber stop a 1/2 turn. If that fails unscrew them a bit more untill th boot opens as it should..

Door locks need more lubrication by the sound of it.. Silicone spray is best.. :)

Posted 12 Sep 2010, 08:16 #7 

GagHalfrunt
Well, with the assistance of my Dad we are in without causing any bodywork damage :clap: The only thing that we broke was the Striker itself which is good. I won't say more without revealing too much.

It looks like the cable snapped on the latch end maybe because the latches are full of crud and dried out. We've taken both latches off and I'm going to follow the how-to on the other forum but I'm now stuck with half my car in bits again due to supply problems at Xpart.

The main source of the supply problem seems to be the cable itself:
Bonnet Cable (long, passenger side): Was FSE100500, now FSE000140

I also need a new:
Striker-bonnet: FPJ100170

We've also broken some plastic clips and screws (e.g. two of the bonnet screws didn't even have a screw hole - like someone had totally chewed it off!)

Zeb - are these things stuff you are able to get hold of for me please or is it a case of checking scrapyards? It's a little annoying as I didn't want to use an old cable as surely they will be weaker but I don't see much choice now parts are getting scarcer for these cars :-|

A big thank you to everyone on this forum (plus Lates who I asked on the offchance!) for their advice.

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 10:17 #8 

Bernard
GagHalfrunt wrote:Well, with the assistance of my Dad we are in without causing any bodywork damage :clap: The only thing that we broke was the Striker itself which is good. I won't say more without revealing too much.

It looks like the cable snapped on the latch end maybe because the latches are full of crud and dried out. We've taken both latches off and I'm going to follow the how-to on the other forum but I'm now stuck with half my car in bits again due to supply problems at Xpart.

The main source of the supply problem seems to be the cable itself:
Bonnet Cable (long, passenger side): Was FSE100500, now FSE000140

I also need a new:
Striker-bonnet: FPJ100170

We've also broken some plastic clips and screws (e.g. two of the bonnet screws didn't even have a screw hole - like someone had totally chewed it off!)

Zeb - are these things stuff you are able to get hold of for me please or is it a case of checking scrapyards? It's a little annoying as I didn't want to use an old cable as surely they will be weaker but I don't see much choice now parts are getting scarcer for these cars :-|

A big thank you to everyone on this forum (plus Lates who I asked on the offchance!) for their advice.

I don't think that there's a problem with a S/H one in good condition. It's more a problem of keeping it so.

I don't know what Tony has got at Blackminster. (Evesham Auto spares) I've lost his number but just around the corner from where I work(cough!)

Also, not too far away from you, Simon at College Motors on the A40 at Burford 01993823560.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 11:11 #9 

Zeb
Sorry, just seen this. I have all those bits available off my 1.8....bonnet release worked perfectly before I dismantled it all...not sure what you mean by bonnet screws?

Rimmers have these:
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-FPJ100170
As do I but obviously not as nice and shiny... :D

I note that they do not stock the individual cables any more, just the complete release assembly (out of stock anyway!)...looks to me like a way to increase turn over...ho hum..

Pm me if I can help..

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 11:48 #10 

MrB
The complete cable assemblies come up regularly on eBay. But I can't find them listed on there at the moment.

Did find a used set though View eBay item 400152343744
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 13 Sep 2010, 12:29 #11 

Zeb
Hopefully the package to arrive tomorrow will resolve all your problems Dave... :D

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 17:29 #12 

GagHalfrunt
Zeb wrote:Hopefully the package to arrive tomorrow will resolve all your problems Dave... :D

Thanks Zeb, I really appreciate it. :clap:

I have just booked 1.5 days off work this week in the hope that I can get it fixed before the weekend although we all now have a bad cold. Busy weekend; Kemble "Battle of Britain" Airshow on Saturday and BTCC at Donnington Park on Sunday. Do I really want to turn up to a "Battle of Britain" event in my wife's bus? (AKA Toyota Verso, very practical but drives like a boat).

Posted 14 Sep 2010, 19:16 #13 

GagHalfrunt
OK, I thought an update was in order.

The parts from Zeb turned up yesterday (thanks Zeb! :cheers: ) and I spent yesterday afternoon "messing with my car" (wife's words, not mine!)

I did the how-to off the other forum on the latches; they are now loaded with copper grease. As both cables were used I swapped them round so the rustier end was on the divider block - if they snap again I'd rather they snap there to be honest! ;)

Now I'm no mechanic, give me a Windows Server I'm happy, cars I don't get on with! Managed to reattach the latches and the new peg and I believe I have lined them up OK as it's easier without a bumper. Used the opportunity to swap my sidelights for the LEDs which were sat in the draw; so much easier with the lights off! One of the foam inserts things was broken on the end so I did a gaffer tape bodge on it. Hope they aren't that vital!

With my wife's assistance we raised the bumper to the car and fitted but I'm still not convinced it's 100%. Are the yellow peg things on the corners supposed to locate fully in those holes as I really can't see how without breaking something?

Now that was all done and the bonnet seemed OK I attempted to fit the wheel arch liner which has been sat in my shed for months as my old one was badly damaged. But it didn't fit.... :cry: It turns out that ZT and 75 wheel arch liners are different because of where they attach to the bumper. The front mount is in a different place and the profile is slightly different. None of the scrapyards I've since contacted (including the ones Bernard mentioned in his post, cheers Bernard) seem to be aware of this fact and none have ZTs scrapping, only 75s. I didn't realise ZTs were that rare. I've tried buying new but yet again it's a stock problem at Xpart despite what online things tell you. And the "new" version appears to be a single part which replaces the 3 part system I have now. Does that mean I won't have an inspection panel any more?

As I need my ZT on the road for the weekend I may reattach the old liner using the best of the old broken clips as I don't want to ruin the ones Zeb sent me. I will also need to add another bodge to attach it to the quarter panel as I never had one before as presumably the previous owner destroyed that too. Does anyone know where I can get a ZT liner for not silly money? Is the plastic under these cars just delicate, due to abuse or just because it's 9 years old? I want to attach the undertray I have in the shed too but I can't really do until the other parts are in place (although I may leave it to Mr Lates to do as I know he loves undertrays :stirer: )

Posted 16 Sep 2010, 15:01 #14 

Zeb
Hmmm...the liners on my 10 year old 1.8 seem to be quite bendy and pliable...I never knew they were different on the ZT..I will have a look tomorrow and see if there is any way they might be modded.....even if it involves using a second liner...as I have two spare... :)

Posted 16 Sep 2010, 19:28 #15 

SpongeBob
Maybe they are not different on the ZT as such, maybe its a date thing and at some point the design was changed? :confused:

Posted 17 Sep 2010, 17:59 #16 

GagHalfrunt
Zeb - sounds like fun but I've fudged it for now and will wait until the next ZT gets broken. In the end it only looks like I have < 1 inch of liner missing so I've used the "rubber band" approach to fudge it! (it includes handwash bottles and cable ties! :shock: )

Spongebob. The ZT front liners are definitely different, they have different part numbers:
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001808

Rear liners are the same though. The ZT bumpers have a wider profile so the ZT liner is wider on the corner and the mounting clip thing that attaches to the bumper is at a different height vs. the 75.

From that URL it implies that the Premium Bumper is different again but don't know how. I'm not sure whether to order a later liner (which again "implies" I might lose the inspection hatch but I've never seen a later car to check) or hold out for a 2nd hand one.

On Sunday at Donington Park I had a different issue but I'll save that for a different post :cry:

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 09:11 #17 

Zeb
My 04 plate facelift ZT has the inspection hatches so I assume the later ones still retained this?

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 09:48 #18 

GagHalfrunt
Well I've just ordered one from Rimmers plus a new Balance VIS (Variable Intake System) motor (long overdue) so fingers crossed it still has the inspection panel.

The irony here is that the only reason we discovered the bonnet was seized was because my Dad was going to see if he could salvage the VIS motor in the car after finding my original one has a destroyed motor. All the windings were snapped and hanging off the motor :shock:

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 16:19 #19