Yuasa Battery! how to charge by Dallas

Dallas
Can anyone tell me if the Rover Yuasa battery is a sealed unit or not, does it have the battery cover section that covers the cells. Do I need to remove this cover before charging and if so how do you get the cover off ?

Its the Yuasa Battery, Part #23032217.
Rover Part #YGD100751.

Thanks guys for any help. :thumbsup:

Posted 05 Jan 2011, 19:39 #1 

Duncan
All modern batteries are effectively sealed, albeit with a pressure releif valve in case you start to overcharge it. So there's no caps to remove while charging.

If you use a good quality charger, that's best for the battery. The ones that Lidl and Aldi do from time to time, with automatic control, are fairly impressive for the price.

Posted 05 Jan 2011, 20:11 #2 

Dallas
Thanks for that Duncan, I did think that was the case but wanted to be sure. I have the Challenged Extreme automatic charger purchased from Argos some years ago (never used it yet), its suitable for diesel and petrol engines from 1800cc to 3000cc and for use with 12 volt lead acid car batteries between 20-180 Ah.

Cars been running fine until this afternoon, went to start her and nothing accept a electrical whizzing sound. Tried turning over a few times and battery went flat, so off comes the battery for a charge and saw that the positive terminal badly corroded. Oh! and I broke the blooming battery cover in the process :icon_cry: snapped a corner off (does anyone have a battery cover they don't want).

Used a spare donner battery and hay presto she fired up and all was fine, thank god its just a simple clean of terminals and charge the battery thats if its not knackered.

So its on charge right now, will fit later tonight or first thing tomorrow. Dont want to be paying out for a new battery really as just doing a new driveway to park her on, doing block paved and in the colour Buff which is a yellow tan colour (thought it would go well with the Wedgwood Blue) Yes! we actually chose the colour block stone to suit the 75 :roll: how sad are we....... :lol:

Does anyone have a battery cover going cheap....... ? :hail:

Posted 05 Jan 2011, 20:42 #3 

Last edited by Dallas on 05 Jan 2011, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
Dallas wrote:I have the Challenged Extreme automatic charger purchased from Argos some years ago (never used it yet), its suitable for diesel and petrol engines from 1800cc to 3000cc and for use with 12 volt lead acid car batteries between 20-180 Ah.

If it's the same one as I have from them, it's a nice constant / regulated voltage one, just as it should be.

Used a spare donner battery and hay presto she fired up and all was fine, thank god its just a simple clean of terminals and charge the battery thats if its not knackered.

Lets hope it's OK. Depends how long it was flat for. They really don't like being flat for longer than a few hours, or they start to get permanent damage. Give it a right good charge and see how it goes, but keep an eye on it for the next few months anyway.

Posted 05 Jan 2011, 20:48 #4 

jamesgreen
sorry to be boreing no car batteries are sealed they have little holles at the side for the purpose of fitting vent pipes i.e if the battery is in the cabin area or boot of the car even some higher end mercs ect have a vent pipe to the battery in the engine compartment.
So a quick ansewer if there are no cell caps visible the gas produced by charging can still escape via the vent holes on the side of the battery.sometimes they have a little bung in the end of them when you buy them just remove them before fiting to the car.

Posted 05 Jan 2011, 21:14 #5 

Duncan
jamesgreen wrote:sorry to be boreing no car batteries are sealed they have little holles at the side for the purpose of fitting vent pipes i.e if the battery is in the cabin area or boot of the car even some higher end mercs ect have a vent pipe to the battery in the engine compartment.
So a quick ansewer if there are no cell caps visible the gas produced by charging can still escape via the vent holes on the side of the battery.sometimes they have a little bung in the end of them when you buy them just remove them before fiting to the car.

Yes. As it was explained to me, that vent hole releases any gas that has to vent past the pressure relief caps. Under normal charging, no significant gas should be produced. Reading up, it seems that the caps can also contain a catalyst to aid recombination of any gases. That's why you never have to top up the battery.

Posted 05 Jan 2011, 21:28 #6 

Dallas
Sorry guys! I should not have used the word 'Sealed' but used the word 'Maintenance free'. :D

Its still on charge and hoping it holds the charge...... :)

Posted 05 Jan 2011, 22:15 #7 

dazarooney
Duncan wrote:All modern batteries are effectively sealed, albeit with a pressure releif valve in case you start to overcharge it. So there's no caps to remove while charging.

If you use a good quality charger, that's best for the battery. The ones that Lidl and Aldi do from time to time, with automatic control, are fairly impressive for the price.

Yeah I was able to get one of those chargers from Lidl and was really impressed by it considering the price. They actually do some fairly decent things!

Posted 29 Sep 2011, 11:24 #8