Yet another problem.... by spuggied

spuggied
In the process of ironing out what seems like an endless stream of issues at the moment. Most recent is this.

Knock at the front of the car when pulling up and braking to stop. Eg tonight I pulled up at a kerb. Went to pull forward a bit and braked and heard a knock. So reversed and braked - no knock. Forward and braked - knock.

Any ideas? Also getting a lot of vibration through the front of the car with twitchy handling. Figured it might be balancing / buckled wheel but now wondering if they are related.

Help appreciated!

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 17:22 #1 

Duncan
Most likely sounds like the teardrop mount. It's underneath the engine gearbox and is known for the bush splitting which allows excessive engine rock, causing knocking.

It could be other things of course, knocks at the front can be worn out antirollbar droplinks or any of the balljoints or bushes. I've even come across cars where the brake pads caused a knock like yours.

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 17:38 #2 

RhodieBill
Hi, I concur with Duncan with reference the Droplinks. When the rubbers wear the grease escapes causing excessive wear with a resultant knock. Just had mine replaced, cost £70 odd to have them supplied and fitted at my garage.
On the other items I cannot comment I'm afraid.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 19:00 #3 

Duncan
One thing, I've heard some reports of cheap replacement droplinks failing VERY quickly. I have developed a nasty creak from the front of my V6 where I replaced the droplinks with non-OE ones. I have no idea yet if the two things are related, but I saw enough reports of problems to get some OE droplinks just in case, and I might have saved myself some grief that way. Won't know until I look at the car, maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 19:12 #4 

RhodieBill
Thanks Duncan, I will keep that in mind as I'm not sure about the ones that have been fitted - but at least I know Andy, who owns the garage I used, guarantees his work.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 19:31 #5 

spuggied
Thanks for the replies! I usually post on the other side but thought there might be more accurate knowledge here.

When you say teardrop mount, do you mean the lower engine mount ? I read about that in another thread, so as a precaution (and because I saw a good deal) I bought a new red powerflex one which is currently unfitted.

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 20:15 #6 

Duncan
Not sure why you would reckon the knowledge is any different, but I guess we should thank you for the compliment.

Yes, the lower mount. I've not tried the powerflex as the original is a void bush (it has voids, or gaps). Although that makes it more prone to failure, it also makes it less harsh. Doesn't mean the powerflex is wrong, but you may find it creates other vibration. Worth a try at least to rule it out, though it's easy to tell by sight if your existing one has gone.

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 20:49 #7 

spuggied
Duncan wrote:Not sure why you would reckon the knowledge is any different, but I guess we should thank you for the compliment.

Yes, the lower mount. I've not tried the powerflex as the original is a void bush (it has voids, or gaps). Although that makes it more prone to failure, it also makes it less harsh. Doesn't mean the powerflex is wrong, but you may find it creates other vibration. Worth a try at least to rule it out, though it's easy to tell by sight if your existing one has gone.

It was just because I've always wondered why this forum was seperate and it has more specific categories eg for the Diesel variants etc - not to retract the compliment obv! Lol

The bush I bought was the new one Powerflex have just brought out for the diesel to make it a little softer as they had feedback on the yellow one that it was too hard, so it should be ok hopefully. I'll try and get under the car - is it possible to see it without it being on the ramp or does the underfloor panel need to come off?

Posted 05 Jul 2012, 22:34 #8 

Duncan
I can't remember if you can see it without the undersheet off, but I don't think so. Ramps or parking with one side of the car on the kerb should be enough, though it depends how 'agile' you are.

Posted 06 Jul 2012, 06:57 #9 

RhodieBill
I do believe it is a Undertray 'off' jobby.

This link to a .org thread (hope that's OK) might help. http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=267421
Regards, Bill

Posted 06 Jul 2012, 13:09 #10 

spuggied
RhodieBill wrote:I do believe it is a Undertray 'off' jobby.

This link to a .org thread (hope that's OK) might help. http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=267421

That must be what it is. Although I'm sure I hear it coming from the front driver's side, not the passenger. I was thinking it must be the brakes as I'm getting so much vibration coming through the car, but doubt it could be as it's only happening when warm, so guessing it is more likely to be this? Must be a balance issue or a buckled wheel causing the other vibrations and handling issue.

I'm trying to sort out some running issues as well. Could you help? I've posted separately to keep the thread concise.

Posted 06 Jul 2012, 20:52 #11 

RhodieBill
Hi, that photo is taken from the passenger side looking across at the driver's side....
Regards, Bill

Posted 07 Jul 2012, 07:48 #12