Yet another Air Bag fault issue by stroheim

stroheim
Hi all, last week the air bag warning light came so I thought just as I did to my last 75 I will get rid of the connectors and solder the wires together ( on drivers and passenger) but alas no luck. I have been having occasional trouble with the steering wheel radio controls so I am wondering if the fault is related to the air bag on the steering wheel

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 12:16 #1 

PaulT
Separate cable runs
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 12:45 #2 

stroheim
Hi thanks for the reply, I kinda new that but I changed my steering wheel a few months ago and I wondering if could be in that area and worth taking the steering wheel/air bag off to have a look

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 14:06 #3 

takestock
The side impact sensors are becoming more of a problem now, especially if you have ever had a wet carpet :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 16:46 #4 

Duncan
They are separate cables, but they all run through the 'clock spring' unit. If you allowed it to turn with the wheel off, and didn't return it to the same place, you may have strained the flexi tape inside it. That could cause symptoms with both. Also, yo may not have got the connector back in properly. Unlikely, but possible.

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 16:49 #5 

stroheim
Hi thanks all for the suggestions. Where are the side impact sensors as my rear passenger well was very wet which I have sorted.

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 17:02 #6 

takestock
just to the front of the B/C post IIRC under the carpet. I think kandyman has a picture with the carpet removed that shows them. :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 02 Mar 2012, 17:45 #7 

stroheim
Hi thanks all I have done some searching and found on my facelift 54 plate these sensors were fitted:
Image and they seem different to the Mk1. Has anyone fitted these and are they in the same area.... thanks

Posted 03 Mar 2012, 17:50 #8 

stroheim
Yippee!! solved the problem after going through all the other possible causes it was the rotary coupler and in a way I should have had a clue because I was having intermittent steering remote radio control
problems, didn't link the two. Could have spared me the time and expense of getting an airbag ECU (Engine Control Unit) and a side impact sensor which I now have spare

Posted 30 Mar 2012, 08:30 #9 

Zeb
Well done! I have the same problem with the V8....and no intermittent radio problems, so might be in need of what you have! Just got to re-check the connectors (again) in case it is something simple, first.

Posted 31 Mar 2012, 22:33 #10