xenon lamp retrofit by tiger260 (Page 2 of 2)

Gate Keeper
The retro fit went ahead. It took one and half days to do at a workshop. I am happy with the result.

Posted 01 Sep 2012, 08:08 #21 

BingleyThe75
Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like it's quite a straight forward swap to do it. To swap the headlights over do I need to take bumper etc off, or is it a bit more straight forward? Also thinking of getting some xenon bulbs off scambay for the fogs, as my passenger side one is knackered (but have bought a replacement off a gentleman breaking a 1.8T tourer) and wondered how hard they are to swap over?
In a cold world, it's a warm place,
Where you know that you're supposed to be.

Posted 04 Sep 2012, 01:03 #22 

raistlin
BingleyThe75 wrote:To swap the headlights over do I need to take bumper etc off,

Yes, you do.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 04 Sep 2012, 05:45 #23 

Gate Keeper
Gate Keeper wrote:The retro fit went ahead. It took one and half days to do at a workshop. I am happy with the result.

I spoke too soon and I am having to eat my words... Woe there my lad!

The codes have not been done or re-calculated and the headlight washers are not enabled. They do illuminate, go up and down when the ignition is turned on and that's it. I checked for the back up battery sounder and it is on board. It has suddenly become complicated and I now am wondering if I should have had the xenons fitted.

The car is due an MOT in the next 2 weeks. So I will have to carry on and get it sorted one way or another. I have been told that if a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) has the full programme and the right connections, then it could be the way to go and that a T1 session would not be needed. However a member up north with a T1 has done this before successfully and has offered to help.

Posted 04 Sep 2012, 09:24 #24 

Gate Keeper
Mad-Monkey wrote:Raistlin has done it, complete retrofit to factory standard and I did his ZCS coding. Works a charm and IMO worthwhile doing a proper job as then there are never any doubts or worries.

When you did the retrofit, did you get a 'short to earth' fault code flash up for the lights and if so, where did it come from? Many thanks :)

Posted 24 Apr 2014, 13:28 #25 

PaulT
My car originally had Xenons on and before my ownership someone removed them - possibly with a lower spec Firefrost facelift - on the label giving a/c refrigerant quantities etc it states Xenon Headlight Only so presume that was only fitted if cars had them, or am I mistaken.

What are the level sensors like and exactly where are they?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 24 Apr 2014, 15:32 #26 

Mad-Monkey
Gate Keeper wrote:
Mad-Monkey wrote:Raistlin has done it, complete retrofit to factory standard and I did his ZCS coding. Works a charm and IMO worthwhile doing a proper job as then there are never any doubts or worries.

When you did the retrofit, did you get a 'short to earth' fault code flash up for the lights and if so, where did it come from? Many thanks :)

We initally got a short to ground on the sensors which would not clear. However, the lights worked perfectly, all self levelling at the right time etc... When the car was put on the T4 a while later, at a nano probably, the errors had gone... I was stumped why they were there in the first place, and even more so that they disappeared. Unless I cleared them and forgot about them!

Posted 24 Apr 2014, 17:02 #27 

Gate Keeper
PaulT wrote:My car originally had Xenons on and before my ownership someone removed them - possibly with a lower spec Firefrost facelift - on the label giving a/c refrigerant quantities etc it states Xenon Headlight Only so presume that was only fitted if cars had them, or am I mistaken.

What are the level sensors like and exactly where are they?

Marina Brian changed the light module over to the self-levelers and did the ZCS coding. Everything seemed to be okay. Must have been 18 months I think, when he did that. All has been well, until a T4 session last week flagged up a 3 fault codes relating to short to earth for the lights. The fault codes for this refused to be cleared. What is strange is that the lights are working, the power washers are working and the lights go up and down when they should.

Posted 24 Apr 2014, 19:22 #28 

Gate Keeper
Mad-Monkey wrote:
Gate Keeper wrote:

We initally got a short to ground on the sensors which would not clear. However, the lights worked perfectly, all self levelling at the right time etc... When the car was put on the T4 a while later, at a nano probably, the errors had gone... I was stumped why they were there in the first place, and even more so that they disappeared. Unless I cleared them and forgot about them!

What a coincidence, exactly the same behaviour as in my old V6. The T4 man who had these codes flash up, thinks it is due to damp coming in - tracking from the wheel arch. He proposes going through the wires one by one. I was hoping you had found the cause to make his task a little easier. Not to worry. I am glad you had no more trouble :) The other option is, that as everything is in working order, that I do nothing. Or, work through a solution in case it happens to anyone else and clear the codes :) Thanks for getting back to me Sir!

Posted 24 Apr 2014, 19:32 #29 

raistlin
Did we not solve it by disconnecting one of the sensors David?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 24 Apr 2014, 19:51 #30 

Mad-Monkey
raistlin wrote:Did we not solve it by disconnecting one of the sensors David?

They still wouldn't clear IIRC. However I think the front sensor we left disconnected as we used the newer LSM (Light Switch Module) module with the bypass resistor jobby. It was quite a while ago so I honestly can't remember, other than the complete annoyance of having those codes not clearing!

edit. That said if we have and it is due to water ingress in the arches it would explain why they've now cleared.

Posted 27 Apr 2014, 13:22 #31 

Last edited by Mad-Monkey on 27 Apr 2014, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

Mad-Monkey
Gate Keeper wrote:
Mad-Monkey wrote:
Gate Keeper wrote:

What a coincidence, exactly the same behaviour as in my old V6. The T4 man who had these codes flash up, thinks it is due to damp coming in - tracking from the wheel arch. He proposes going through the wires one by one. I was hoping you had found the cause to make his task a little easier. Not to worry. I am glad you had no more trouble :) The other option is, that as everything is in working order, that I do nothing. Or, work through a solution in case it happens to anyone else and clear the codes :) Thanks for getting back to me Sir!

Could quite possibly be the fault. I think the front sensor was disconnected and the connector taped up out the way as we fitted the newer LSM module with fixed resistor. Although without checking I couldn't tell you for definate. The system was fully working despite these persistant fault codes, but as I said they've randomly gone. Interesting you now have the exact same experience. Although I don't understand why the faults would appear on a retrofit when they've been done exactly the same as a factory install. I've not seen any cars with the faults from the factory.

Posted 27 Apr 2014, 13:28 #32 

Gate Keeper
Mad-Monkey wrote:
Gate Keeper wrote:
Mad-Monkey wrote:
Gate Keeper wrote:

Could quite possibly be the fault. I think the front sensor was disconnected and the connector taped up out the way as we fitted the newer LSM module with fixed resistor. Although without checking I couldn't tell you for definate. The system was fully working despite these persistant fault codes, but as I said they've randomly gone. Interesting you now have the exact same experience. Although I don't understand why the faults would appear on a retrofit when they've been done exactly the same as a factory install. I've not seen any cars with the faults from the factory.

Thanks David and thanks to Paul. I will pass this onto the T4 man, to check the LSM module and the resistor and to look at the front sensor. I like your solution about disabling and taping it up. The front bumper has to come off as it has dropped and is out of alignment with the bonnet and the Shannon tube is being replaced at the same time, as it has had it and will check for water ingress. As you said it is odd that this has not happened to the factory fitted Xenons. When the work has been completed I will let you know how it turns out.

You have both given me a direction to take and it is much appreciated. The cheque is in the post! Thank you very much. Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the best

Phil

Posted 27 Apr 2014, 17:41 #33 

Mad-Monkey
Just make sure you have the correct LSM that doesn't utilise the front sensor. I don't know if a resistor can be added at any point within the circuit, I don't see why it can't but would hate for you to try without being cautious and damage something.

Posted 27 Apr 2014, 20:17 #34 

Gate Keeper
Mad-Monkey wrote:Just make sure you have the correct LSM that doesn't utilise the front sensor. I don't know if a resistor can be added at any point within the circuit, I don't see why it can't but would hate for you to try without being cautious and damage something.

I will ask Marina Brian if he is able to remember what the LSM had and did not have. Thanks again for helping :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the best

Phil

Posted 29 Apr 2014, 08:42 #35