wot no HGF ?? by black olive

• Related topics: (no related topics)

black olive
no- one with HGF (Head Gasket Failure) yet ;) :spam:

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 12:06 #1 

JohnDotCom
I believe that as more people learn about watching the water levels etc on these engine variants
and as they get changed to the new type Head Gasket there should be less posts re the problem,
but,
things do and can go wrong and there is always help and advice available to all if that does happen..
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 14:01 #2 

kevin
JohnDotCom wrote:I believe that as more people learn about watching the water levels etc on these engine variants
and as they get changed to the new type Head Gasket there should be less posts re the problem,.

Do hope your right john, As I know to keep a eye on the water and its had the new type head gasket fitted before I got it. :D

to all with out the new head gasket. :Tongue:

Posted 07 Jun 2010, 14:05 #3 

PaulT
OK then what is your advice on this......

My Wife, Yve, has bought a 2004 45. It had under 9,500 miles when she got it and it is still short of 10,000 miles

Would you keep your fingers crossed and hope for no problems or change the gasket just to be safe?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 17:08 #4 

takestock
If it aint broke.....................
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 17:14 #5 

Simon
Since M&G in Bradford replaced my Head Gasket (as he reaches for wood chair leg!!!)

I Haven't had to top my coolant up for 4 months, Not a drop lost :mrgreen:

The fact that the head had been skimmed to the limit didn't help, even with the MLS (Multi Layer Steel Gasket) gasket kit.

All done properly with recon head :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sweet as a Nut :Tongue:
115,000 miles and counting

Posted 15 Jun 2010, 20:21 #6 

Tourerfogey
Mine went at 28K (car was 6 years old). Head was crack tested, lightly skimmed and refitted with MLS gasket and updated 'ladder' frame by a main dealer so fingers crossed . . .

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 18:49 #7 

chrissyboy
should be fine if looked after right .. a car is only as good as it has been looked after ..look after the car and the car will look after the wallet
nothing like a good rover motor car ,as i said its nothing like a good rover motor car

Posted 09 Jul 2010, 20:27 #8 

kevin
chrissyboy wrote:should be fine if looked after right .. a car is only as good as it has been looked after ..look after the car and the car will look after the wallet

or look after you car and more cash left for doing all the mods we like. ;)

Posted 09 Jul 2010, 20:57 #9 

rovernut
Mine went at 31k and it was repaired on the cheap with the old type gasket. (Skimmed but no new pump, stat, or longbolts).

This was four years ago and its now done 65k, so more than the first one and over small stop/start journeys plus long caravan towing ones abroad.

I check the coolant once a weekish and it hardly drops. Funny thing was it produced steam from the front n/s bonnet area whilst ascending Kirkstone Pass about 2 years ago and I thought here we go again..... But no probs since, must have been the altitude and perhaps had been overfilled?

Anyway I know it will now let me down on the way to the Classic Car Show whilst carrying two fat owners of German made cars!

I'll keep you posted.

Chris

Posted 10 Nov 2010, 13:29 #10