Workshop manual, on a Mac? by Duncan (Page 1 of 2)

Duncan
I use the 75 workshop manuals, particularly the wiring, on a laptop PC. However I want to put it onto a macbook. Anyone know if this will work?

Posted 17 Nov 2014, 18:14 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I'm presuming these are from RAVE or similar.
The short answer is no. However, Parallels or Boot Camp with Windows will get you there. Or VMware, http://store.vmware.com/store/vmwde/en_ ... wgod1JUAGg

Posted 17 Nov 2014, 18:42 #2 

Duncan
OK, thanks Mick. Boot camp is an alternate boot direct into windows as I understand, so I might as well boot up the lappy with it on. VMware look OK, except thats a lot of money just for Rave. I'll look at parallels.

Posted 17 Nov 2014, 19:17 #3 

Trebor
I have Rave and Wiring Diagrams in PDF file format Duncan if that's any use, that's what I use on my I Pad
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 17 Nov 2014, 19:38 #4 

Duncan
Rob, that sounds like a fantastic alternative. I tend to use them when people ask questions on here and it would save firing up the other machine.

Posted 17 Nov 2014, 20:35 #5 

Jürgen
VMware Fusion is quite good at running Windows on a Mac. In this way I've access to XP, 7, 8 and 10. But if you don't want to go for that, Duncan, then you could give VirtualBox a try.

Posted 17 Nov 2014, 20:45 #6 

Duncan
Thanks, that looks like another possibility, and I prefer that kind of cost.

Posted 17 Nov 2014, 20:50 #7 

Trebor
PM or text me your address Duncan and will put on a disc for you
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 17 Nov 2014, 21:03 #8 

Trebor
In today's post Duncan
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 18 Nov 2014, 17:04 #9 

Duncan
Many thanks Rob. Duncan

Posted 18 Nov 2014, 17:30 #10 

Bolin
OK, could we take Ducan's query a step further - can the same electronic workshop manuals be made to work with Linux (Ubuntu)? :gmc:

As far as I know, the answer is 'no' - but perhaps it is worth giving 'WINE' (Windows emulator) another try, if it still exists - it used to be a bit useless a few years ago.:(

I would have bought a paper copy of the repair service procedures if it was cheap enough, but oddly it went for £83 on eBay?! And the only paper electrical manual I have seen was collection only from Birmingham, just too far away! Bah. I do have the Operation and Description manual paper copy though, extremely useful:)

Posted 02 Dec 2014, 22:33 #11 

Trebor
Bolin wrote:OK, could we take Ducan's query a step further - can the same electronic workshop manuals be made to work with Linux (Ubuntu)? :gmc:

As far as I know, the answer is 'no' - but perhaps it is worth giving 'WINE' (Windows emulator) another try, if it still exists - it used to be a bit useless a few years ago.:(

I would have bought a paper copy of the repair service procedures if it was cheap enough, but oddly it went for £83 on eBay?! And the only paper electrical manual I have seen was collection only from Birmingham, just too far away! Bah. I do have the Operation and Description manual paper copy though, extremely useful:)

If the PDF versions are any good to you please PM me
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 03 Dec 2014, 01:03 #12 

PaulT
Official workshop manual available from Rimmer £49.95

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID010853
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 03 Dec 2014, 07:22 #13 

Bolin
Trebor wrote:
Bolin wrote:OK, could we take Ducan's query a step further - can the same electronic workshop manuals be made to work with Linux (Ubuntu)? :gmc:

If the PDF versions are any good to you please PM me

Thank you for the offer Rob - I will look into whether a straight PDF from another computer system will work on my Ubuntu, and will let you know. I can open PDFs when browing the web and in emails so it might well work, but I do remember having some odd file format difficulties a few years ago with Ubuntu. Not had any bother in ages though. Hopefully a PDF is the same on all systems, I'll try to find out.

Using a non-standard operating system can be a right pain when you are not into computers - sometimes I have needed to use another computer to access the web for info on how to fix mine :roll:

Posted 08 Dec 2014, 00:02 #14 

Duncan
That's kind of the point of PDFs, portable document format, so its the same on all platforms. Doesn't mean it works, though!

Posted 08 Dec 2014, 18:13 #15 

Mick
(Site Admin)
You will need a pdf reader of course.
Adobe pdf reader used to work but support has recently been dropped by Adobe. There are others. here are 3 http://www.linux.com/news/software/appl ... r-on-linux

Posted 08 Dec 2014, 19:05 #16 

Bolin
Actually I do have problems using a couple of TV catch-up services i.e. they don't work. So not quite everything works, but there is a fix to try for those.

For PDFs I have 'Document Viewer' from Evince which was installed as standard I think, I don't recall having problems with it. Done a bit of Goggling and can't immediately find major problems with it when using 12.04 except for printing.

Am I right in thinking that a standard copy of RAVE is in a format that only works with Windows (which is why I have never bothered to try it, especially as WINE was almost totally useless in past versions of Ubuntu) and you have to change the clock's year, but what Rob is referring to is the same content but just in PDF? So it includes the wiring diagrams which are are not part of the main workshop repair manual and cannot be obtained without RAVE? (hence wishing the ones for sale in Birmingham were not collect-only). The diagrams in Haynes are very limited. There are some retrofits and mods that I want to do, but with low confidence with electrics I really need the diagrams for help.

Posted 11 Dec 2014, 18:50 #17 

Mick
(Site Admin)
The Body Electrics Workbook in PDF format is available from the forums know how section.
rover-75-body-electrics-workbook.html

Posted 11 Dec 2014, 20:11 #18 

Trebor
In addition to the PDF mentioned by Mick above,I have individual PDFs for system operating procedure, service procedure and wiring diagrams, the offer still stands
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

Posted 12 Dec 2014, 08:43 #19 

Bolin
Mick wrote:The Body Electrics Workbook in PDF format is available from the forums know how section.
rover-75-body-electrics-workbook.html

Thanks Mick - I had already got that one downloaded and it has been useful. I also have a paper copy of the Technical Brochure. However, neither have the full wiring diagrams.

Posted 16 Dec 2014, 00:00 #20