Woohoo, it started! by Duncan

Duncan
Just finished (well finished enough) rebuilding my Honda GX240 engine to power a genny. And it started! Has leccy start though it hadn't been used in a while courtesy of a broken starter solenoid. Not bad saying it was a full nut and bolt strip down.

Just need to wire up the alternator output and away we go. Expect to see it at the next Nano!

Posted 13 May 2011, 21:22 #1 

MrB
Well Done that man.

There's a lot of satisfaction in getting an engine back together and up and running.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 13 May 2011, 22:22 #2 

raistlin
Great result Duncan :)

Presumably we'll see it on Friday?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 May 2011, 08:29 #3 

Duncan
raistlin wrote:Great result Duncan :)

Presumably we'll see it on Friday?

No, not this one. I's a bit big to just drop in the car (3kW output), and I'm still waiting for a spare part for the little 12v charger one.

Posted 14 May 2011, 12:00 #4 

raistlin
OK Duncan. Not that we need it of course :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 May 2011, 14:42 #5 

takestock
me any my little suitcase generator will of course be at the next nano ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 16 May 2011, 19:37 #6 

Duncan
takestock wrote:me any my little suitcase generator will of course be at the next nano ;)

Yes, that's a lovely little device, which is what prompted me to look for something similar to carry round to cars. I found a lovely little Honda that provides 12v at 20A, perfect for keeping a car battery topped up and running a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) off. Also' it's a classic generator, if there can be such a thing.

The other is a beast, and will be useful for running bigger stuff, but takes up a fair bit of the tourer loadspace. I have enjoyed restoring it though as it had been sat outside for some of its life. It's main purpose in life is in case we have power cuts at home. Doesn't happen so often these days (and that will trigger one) but can be a pain for two or three hours.

Painted the last part this evening. Just got to put the recoil start back together now. One nice big spring to put back in, that I thought wasn't under much tension till I pulled the end out. Whipped past my ear at some speed, I tell you! Won't get used a lot though, as the beast is electric start!

Posted 16 May 2011, 20:08 #7 

takestock
Funny you should mention the power cuts, i've had my little genny since the last ones. put it in the shed outside with a couple of extentions and 4 way adaptors. it will happily power the fridge, freezer and all the cable and Tv bits and bobs. Middle of a power cut and people looking in at us wacthig TV was amusing. yours will be invaluable if it happens again believe me. and a collectors item as well :) nice one.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 16 May 2011, 20:23 #8 

Bernard
I wish mine had electric starting, but it can run on LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas)! 8-)
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 16 May 2011, 20:27 #9 

Duncan
Bernard wrote:I wish mine had electric starting, but it can run on LPG! 8-)

I wouldn't expect anything less.

If it's a Honda engine it may be convertable, at a cost of course. The bits are pricy!

Posted 16 May 2011, 20:48 #10