winter tyres by Duncan

Duncan
Seriously thinking about buying some winters for the cars in the next few days. Prices on blackcircles look OK, but they don't say what the budget winters are. Mytyres have a nokian which I'm pretty sure are good (the Ice speed record was done on Nokians) for not much more, but I've not heard anything about that company.

So does anyone have any opinions on these companies, or perhaps a reasonably local to the midlands supplier. Bearing in mind I need eight tyres, price is quite important.

Posted 13 Oct 2011, 20:42 #1 

Jürgen
I'd go for one of the renowned brands like Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin or Pirelli (in alphabetical order ;)). They are mostly rated best in serious tests.
I personally have used Continental and nowadays Goodyear and had no problems at all during serious winter conditions.

Posted 13 Oct 2011, 21:04 #2 

Duncan
I mostly agree with you about those brands. I've seen Dunlop winters perform very well, although I hate their normal tyres having had them on a few cars and found wet performance to be better from cheapo brands.

Do Nokians get less good reviews over there, or are they just not yet known? After all if some mad Finn will drive at the best part of 200MPH on them they can't be all bad can they? It's an extra £10 per tyre for a known name that doesn't even come in that list so that's £80 extra for an unknown quantity. I am thinking 'bu**er it' and pay the extar instead of spending hours mucking about. After all I do need to get to work, and I don't want my OH putting the tourer in a ditch.....

Posted 13 Oct 2011, 21:11 #3 

Jürgen
Nokians haven't been top rated yet, but they aren't the worst either. In this years tests they get a 3 on a scale from 1 to 5, due to a weakness on wet roads.

Posted 13 Oct 2011, 21:23 #4 

MrB
I put Goodyear Ultra Grip 7's on mine last winter and they were fantastic. Even on the slickest ice they just grip. I could barely stand on our street and these tyres just made the car feel like I was driving in the dry.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 15 Oct 2011, 10:06 #5 

Stelad
There's a winter tyre group test in this weeks AutoExpress.

Posted 16 Oct 2011, 22:56 #6