Wing Replacement by Bermudan 75

Bermudan 75
Hi folks,

As you may have seen I replaced the nearside front wing recently due to a small area of rust.

Using the information previously posted up by Dave (Takestock), I removed the wing which revealed the true extent of the rust on the wing.
The metal had been completely rusted through.
With the wing removed I had access to the area behind the wheel liner and here I found a collection of grunge which was removed, it can be seen on the ground in front of the jack.
This grunge can cause rust to form and indeed there were small signs of rust where the grunge had accumulated next to the inside of the wing.
There was also a small area of rust on the front bracket that connects the wing to the chassis.
The sound insulation foam bag was removed as it had a hole in it and it was replaced before being re-fitted.
All of the exposed panels were cleaned and the wiring loom was cleaned and then blackend so the appearance went from this
To this:
The replacement wing was fitted to the car

I will be removing the offside front wing soon to check for any signs of rust and give the exposed panels etc a good clean as I have done to the nearside. It does not take long so it is a worthwhile job.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 18 Aug 2013, 18:49 #1 

takestock
That looks like amazing prep work there Mike, Wish i had been so thorough when I did mine :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 18 Aug 2013, 19:48 #2 

Jürgen
That looks like a good piece of work, Mike. :thumbsup:

Posted 18 Aug 2013, 21:06 #3 

ceedy
Handy pics giving me a clue for when I replace my damaged wing..

Any good order to undo the bolts ??

Got to re attach the plastic wing alignment fitting to the top of the front nose as its been whacked off in the impact.

Looks a bit like its stuck on with some sort of double sided tape ??

and only seem have one horn at the mo too!

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 18 Aug 2013, 21:08 #4 

Bermudan 75
Hi Chris,
You will need to remove the bolts holding the bumper on the side of the damaged wing. Then you can pull the bumper out far enough from the wheel arch to gain acces to another bolt. The bolts securing the bottom of the wing behind the wheel arch liner can easily be accessed by pulling the liner forward.

Is your horn broken? if so and it is a 400Hz one I have a spare you can have, foc.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 18 Aug 2013, 21:28 #5 

kandyman
Smashing job there,

Looks like you found your nano job ;)

Posted 18 Aug 2013, 22:29 #6 

ceedy
Rover418275 wrote:Hi Chris,
You will need to remove the bolts holding the bumper on the side of the damaged wing. Then you can pull the bumper out far enough from the wheel arch to gain acces to another bolt. The bolts securing the bottom of the wing behind the wheel arch liner can easily be accessed by pulling the liner forward.

Is your horn broken? if so and it is a 400Hz one I have a spare you can have, foc.

Cheers

Mike

Cheers Mike ,

Would have done it this weekend , but some DIY and pouring rain put the mockers on it ,

Has to be done before Silverstone obviously ;) ;)

Actual I have ( well should ) 3 horns, bought an aftermarket pair and put them on a few years back ,where the missing one was . did sound nice . Can't remember which side was removed in the cost saving @ MGR ?

take care

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 19 Aug 2013, 09:10 #7