Windows 7 - Move the "Users" folder by raistlin

raistlin
I'm sure I've asked this question before but can't find it so here goes... again.

My C(Boot) drive is an SSD and has limited capacity. For that reason I want to move my "Users" folder to my D drive.

Clearly, it isn't just as simple as copying the folder over as I need to make the system aware of the new location.

Please can anybody clue me what to do?

Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 04 Jan 2012, 20:19 #1 

geesmith
I think this looks straight forward (if you read it at least twice)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18 ... ation.html

It looks almost as simple as moving a game from Programs(x86) to a newly created "GAMES" folder so you can acces the config files.... in which case you only need to delete the shortcuts and create new ones from the newly copied and pasted location. The guide above is slightly more involved but ....

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 02:52 #2 

raistlin
Thanks Glynn.

I'll have a look in more detail tonight. :)
Paul

Posted 05 Jan 2012, 09:21 #3 

raistlin
OK... I give in...

I'm now prepared to completely re-install windows and apps to get this the way I want it.

Was wondering if anybody knew how to setup Windows 7 from scratch to store all the USERS folder info on a drive other than the boot drive please?

I've read one or two articles on-line about it but they're just so much double-dutch to me :(
Paul

Posted 14 Jan 2012, 19:25 #4 

raistlin
All Done :D

I used the definitive Brian Wilder method. A lot easier than it at first appears.

Now my SSD is 23% full rather than 88%.
Paul

Posted 15 Jan 2012, 10:10 #5