Windows 10 Upgrade by raistlin (Page 2 of 2)

raistlin
As far as 'm aware the licence is for only one PC so you can have either W7 or W10.

Also, be aware, if you use a metered network connection, W10 helps itself to your bandwidth without bothering to tell you. I've just used up 9.7GB of my 10GB monthly allowance without being aware of it. Thanks Micro$oft.

The sooner I get my PCs back to W7 the better.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 12 Aug 2015, 13:27 #21 

Jürgen
No*, the licence for 7 will be replaced by a licence for 10. But within 30 days one can decide to go back to the former version, before the old system files will be deleted. So both licences should be valid, as long as just one is in use. There are still Windows 7 OEM licences available on the cheap. So instead of buying an expensive Windows 10 licence, the upgrade will be more economical. That's if the OS has to be Windows.

But in my opinion 7 is still the best, because 10 is a bit of a nightmare regarding privacy. Although I prefer some other kind of OS privately.

* EDIT: That "No" refers to Mad-Monkey's question. ;)

Posted 12 Aug 2015, 13:38 #22 

PaulT
Well, mine and Yves laptops are now on 10. How easy is 10 to use - well, Yve has not asked 'how do I do this' so it must be fairly straightforward.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 12 Aug 2015, 18:01 #23 

Duncan
Upgraded a couple of machines, one had a few glitches, but a few forced restarts and its happy apart from one piece of software which now believes its unlicensed. That machine always took forever to boot, and is now reasonably fast.

Posted 12 Aug 2015, 18:33 #24 

Mad-Monkey
Jürgen wrote:No*, the licence for 7 will be replaced by a licence for 10. But within 30 days one can decide to go back to the former version, before the old system files will be deleted. So both licences should be valid, as long as just one is in use. There are still Windows 7 OEM licences available on the cheap. So instead of buying an expensive Windows 10 licence, the upgrade will be more economical. That's if the OS has to be Windows.

But in my opinion 7 is still the best, because 10 is a bit of a nightmare regarding privacy. Although I prefer some other kind of OS privately.

* EDIT: That "No" refers to Mad-Monkey's question. ;)

Thanks Jürgen. I have two w7 licences but wondering if I really need w10. All the software I have is from the xp days :roll: I might just stick with 7. Its not broke and I like it.

Posted 13 Aug 2015, 09:51 #25 

raistlin
Re-installed W7 on my work lappy. WHAT a relief :)

At the very least, it doesn't run off with your metered network bandwidth.
Paul

Posted 13 Aug 2015, 10:02 #26 

Trebor
I had enough of the windows 8 experience to last me for a while so happy to stay with W7 , and for those of you who have gone with W10 make sure you are aware of it sharing your wi fi passwords using " Wifi Sense "

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/why-the-hell ... 1719900675
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 14 Aug 2015, 16:11 #27 

PaulT
Interesting Paul - now disabled.
Paul

Posted 15 Aug 2015, 10:12 #28 

raistlin
PaulT wrote:Interesting Paul - now disabled.

Yes. I thought I'd disabled it as well Paul but there was still a major hit on my metered connection which wasn't readily identifiable.
Paul

Posted 15 Aug 2015, 10:57 #29 

PaulT
Fortunately, I am on unlimited, but I will keep an eye on the usage.
Paul

Posted 15 Aug 2015, 11:35 #30 

Duncan
I will check mine, but it was an option that I disabled during upgrade. I would be irritated if it had ignored that during setup.

Posted 15 Aug 2015, 11:38 #31 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:I will check mine, but it was an option that I disabled during upgrade. I would be irritated if it had ignored that during setup.

Not so much ignored as only limited to specific applications I think Duncan.

It would be OK on my PCs at home which are unlimited but my work laptop is on a 10GB tariff with EE of which I normally use between 3 and 6GB per month but I've used 45GB so far this month and there's still a week to go.
Paul

Posted 15 Aug 2015, 12:22 #32