Window won't open......... by James.uk

James.uk
My rear passenger side window wont go up or down. I would like to know where the fault lies, I can hear a click from the dash area when I operate the drivers door switch, but I would like to know if I need to get another motor for it, or if the fault lies elsewhere.

Historically I had the door replaced by a bodyshop..Bad idea.. Terrible idea!!. The window was only partially opening when i got it back, and the central locking didn't work at all on that door! they blamed the 2nd hand door i had supplied.. Sooo..

I got my local mechanic to look at it for me. Result was, he said it was wired up wrongly, and that had blown the solenoid. and a cable was routed under the glass preventing the window from going right down! . he fixed those faults for me, but now the pesky window is playing up.. d'ohhh.. I'm beginning to wish I had kept the old door with the dent in it!, at least everything worked!! .. :roll: :confused:

PS.. Unfortunately I don't know how to test circuits with a test fingy.. :em: :em:

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 13:39 #1 

Last edited by James.uk on 25 Sep 2010, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan
I have to doubt your mechanic. Why would it be wired up wrong, as they have plugs, not individual wires.

I wonder how it 'blew a solenoid' as solenoids are difficult to blow, and there aren't any in the door.

Most likely there's corrossion on a connector somewhere, or a broken wire. For the window itself, there are only two wires from the BCU (Body Control Unit) under the dash, to the window motor via a connector in the B/C pillar. This is the most likely source of the problem.

One wire is grey / green but changes to grey brown as it goes inside the door.
The other is grey orange and changes to grey blue at the door connection.

If you have a tester, you should get 12 volts at the motor when you operate the switch. For up, one wire will be plus twelve, the other ground. For down, the polarity will swap over.

Of course it might be as simple as the plug isn't connected to the motor.

EDIT:
looks like the grey orange / grey blue is positive for down.

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 14:20 #2 

raistlin
Might be a good reason to come down to the nano-meet next weekend James :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 14:26 #3 

James.uk
Thanks Duncan, erm, I forgot to mention I am colour blind.. :em: :roll:

At least now I know what my mech will be up against, when I ask him to sort it for me..

Paul-(Raislin) .. I am sending you a PM re Nano.. :)

EEKK! Sez you don't exist! :shock: But I sent it anyway... :confused:

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 15:25 #4 

raistlin
James.uk wrote:Paul-(Raislin) .. I am sending you a PM re Nano.. :)

EEKK! Sez you don't exist! :shock: But I sent it anyway... :confused:

Didn't get it James :confused: Did you click on the PM button to the right of my post above?
Paul

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 15:57 #5 

James.uk
Erm nope... :shock: I opened your profile and clicked on "send a Private message".. But it insisted that you don't exist.. :o :roll:

I will try again using your system.. Taa.. :)

Edit:- Seems to have worked that time..... :)

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 16:03 #6 

Last edited by James.uk on 25 Sep 2010, 16:18, edited 2 times in total.

raistlin
James.uk wrote: But it insisted that you don't exist.. :o :roll:

I wondered why I was beginning to look translucent ;)
Paul

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 16:17 #7 

JohnDotCom
Paul (Raistlin) definitely exists. :D
Will flag up in Admin in case a problem, but not coming up as one for me. :gmc:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 16:18 #8 

James.uk
Cheers John, probably my fault though. :em: :roll:

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 16:21 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
James.uk wrote:Cheers John, probably my fault though. :em: :roll:

Yep there is a T in Raistlin. Your PM would not have been sent if it says the name doesn't exist.

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 16:45 #10 

James.uk
Well, I never sit in the back of the car to drive coz me legs aint long enuff, so not really bovvered me innit.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

An winters comin on.. reminds me, must get me FBH (Fuel burning heater.) PCboard fingy sorted by Jules soon.. :roll: Anyone know how to get it out of wherever it lives? :confused: If it's a quickie, then I can leave it with Jules tomorrow.. If not, it will have to go by post.. :(

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 17:28 #11 

Duncan
Colour blideness and leccy wiring are not a good mix.

When I was young, a mate of mine was colour blind. I knew, and he knew I knew.

I was trying to wire up a trailer and couldn't remember the wire colours to pin numbers, so I opened a plug on one that was wired already and asked him to read them out to me. Only when he read one I did remember out wrongly did he say 'well I am colour blind'.

Doh.

Anyhow, regardless of colours, I think you will find dirt or corrosion in the connectors. It will be green if that's any help . :gmc:

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 18:26 #12 

takestock
Duncan wrote: It will be green if that's any help . :gmc:

Is that just behind the blue?
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 18:34 #13 

Duncan
takestock wrote:
Duncan wrote: It will be green if that's any help . :gmc:

Is that just behind the blue?

For those watching in black and white, yes.

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 18:48 #14 

James.uk
True and funny story about elecs --

I wanted to remove some ceiling panels when working on a building site refurb job.. In the room I was in, I could see a hole in the ceiling with a load of wires hanging down, So having checked that all elecs were off on the site, by asking the sparks, who told me he had removed the main fuse boxes completely so all the wiring on site was dead.. I then asked a plasterer who was working nearby if he minded me using the tall wooden steps that were there, he OKed it, and orf up the steps I went. :)

On the way up I gently pushed the cluster of wires that were hanging down to one side, and went on up the steps. Having had a good look over the ceiling, and decided which tiles I needed to remove, I started back down the steps, as I got near the bottom I heard a faint crackling sound, then as I stepped off the steps the plasterer glanced my way and quietly said "your hairs on fire mate" before continuing his work. I ran both hands through my hair a few times extremely quickly! :shock: then asked him if it was out?? he glanced my way again and said casually "it seems to be, there's a bucket of water in the other room if you need it".. and he continued plastering the wall he was working on without another word!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It turned out that the wiring was still live, and as I came down the steps it had passed through my hair, in so doing it had sparked and set me on fire!!! :shock: :panic:

I ended up with a huge bald patch on the back of me bonce for a couple of weeks, but luckily, no burns whatsoever.. No thanks to that plasterer though!! he clearly wasn't bovvered! :D :lol: :D

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 19:17 #15 

raistlin
Always considered you a 'live-wire' James ;) :D
Paul

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 19:25 #16